View Single Post
Old 02-28-2023, 02:11 PM   #161
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

In theory, if you're worth $20 million more than your peers (and I don't doubt that Mahomes is), then your peers have $20 million to spend on the rest of the team that your team does not.

In this idealized world where players are paid what they are worth, you have parity. As far as I know, Tom Brady is the only player who recognized this and consistently took less than he could have demanded. I'm sure there are others.

I am also sure there aren't any others with seven Super Bowl rings. There's only one other quarterback who even participated in half the Super Bowls Brady played in. Mahomes may get there, too - lots of time left and his numbers are just off-the-charts good. And his contract is pretty good for the Chiefs moving forward, if he continues to play at this level.

Carr has to make the same case Stafford made - great performances on an otherwise losing team. I wouldn't call either of them great, but teams can win with them. His agent might have set the price far too high, but it is very early, and he's going to get interviews.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote