View Single Post
Old 04-20-2012, 03:03 AM   #261
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Nov 3, 2012
Blyth (3-5-7, 20th) vs Mansfield (9-3-3, 3rd)

Tough team coming in today. The Stags are led by ST Ben Hutchingon (9 goals) and MF Louis Briscoe (8 goals), with solid defenders like Paul Dummett (7.29). Matters are compounded by today being the first of three matches in eight days, so the lineup is a bit mix & match. We'll open 4-4-2 Counter and hope to steal a point from a club playing very well so far this season

GK: Hartley
D: Kulsten, Jones, Purvis, Sinclair
MF: O'Connor, Morrison, White, Vipond
F: Matondo, Mole
Bench: (Breckin, Phillips, Hassan, Slaughter, Dovey)

13:00 - O'Connor gets the ball with room to run into the left channel .. crosses for Matondo deep in the area ... shoots... GOAL ! (1-0)
29:40 - Cross the right side of the area for Briscoe, his header hits the crossbar ... the rebound comes squarely back to Briscoe who buries it this time around (1-1)
42:00 - Osawe gets a little pass from Hutchinson and runs into the area on the right ... shoots ... scores (1-2) He beat Purvis to make some room & didn't waste it.

Halftime - Outshot 11-2 with just 43% poss, we may be lucky to be this close. Not much we can do about it I'm afraid, they look very good up front. I tell the boys we've had some bad luck but to keep plugging away. They seem encouraged.

54:10 - Hutchinson shoots with two men marking him ... it's off Hartley's hands, off the crossbar, and in. (1-3)
Switch to Standard
55:20 - Matondo gets a good look but puts it into the side of the netting
64:00 - Matondo gives the ball up to Mole in the area ... he muscles his way past the defender Holland and shoots for the narrow angle to the near post ... GOAL ! (2-3)
66:30 - Sub Breckin for Jones (5.3) ... move Matondo to LM, White to F, O'Connor to RM, Vipond to RCM
73:00 - Sub Hassan for Morrison (tiring) ... Hassan to F, White back to MF
76:10 - Osawe with a short pass to Hutchinson, who turns & finds himself with some room near the top of the arc ... Hartley coming out, Hutchinson lobs ... scores (2-4) Switch to Attacking
78:45 - Roberts free kick from the left channel ... Riley header ... oof (2-5) Sub Dovey for Hartley
88:15 - Hassan with a through ball to Mole on the left side of the area ... plenty of room ... misses wide left

Fulltime - That got ugly in the second half. For the match, outshot 18-6, only 43% poss. I praise the overall team effort but light into the defenders a bit, as they were pretty ineffective all day. Also speak to several players to praise their individual performance

Hartley 6.0
Kulsten 5.2, Jones 5.3, Purvis 6.0, Sinclair 5.4
O'Connor 6.8 & 1 assist, Morrison 6.7, White 6.1, Vipond 6.2
Matondo 7.8, 1 goal & 1 assist, Mole 7.1 & 1 goal
Subs: Hassan 6.7, Breckin 6.3, Dovey N/A

Nov 3, 2012 (postmatch)
The loss sends us back down to 22nd & into the drop zone. We're a point behind both Forest Green & Stockport now but at least we're four points up on Braintree & Ebbsfleet.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 04-20-2012 at 11:15 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote