View Single Post
Old 05-14-2014, 09:08 AM   #40
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

This morning was the big 11x400m at mile pace that I dreaded so much. It wasn't easy but I got it done!

Based on recent race times, my expected mile time as per the Jack Daniels' calculator would be 5:51 so for 400m, that would have to be 1:27. I hit it, or pretty close to it for 4 of the first 5, then slipped a bit for a few and got back close again for the last one... I remember that some of those had a decent headwind and over 400m going as hard as you can (or just about) this can mean a couple seconds off over 400m.

times
1) 01:24.8
2) 01:29.5
3) 01:26.4
4) 01:26.7
5) 01:31.9
6) 01:27.8
7) 01:33.2
8) 01:34.0
9) 01:35.8
10) 01:34.5
11) 01:28.8

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/499244530

The first one I felt fresh but wasn't feeling the running. The second one felt rough but the 3rd and 4th one I remember feeling very good doing them, about the pace, the rythm and all. After that, fatigue started setting in a bit. Still pretty happy with the workout. Feeling it in the legs now which is a good thing. Was a lot of mental work though. After the 2nd it was, "oh crap, still got 9 of those to do!?!". Then after the 4th it was, "come on man, more than a third of it done!" Then after the 6th, "oh yeah, more of it done than what's left!" Then after the 9th, "hell yeah, only two left!!!"...

I did 300m in between reps, split 150m walk, 150m easy jog. I usually don't walk during my runs but I thought this was the best way to maximize the use of this many 400m reps going hard...

Also, I usually shied away from running in the rain last Summer and would plan my runs around it because I could. I mean, I wasn't really committed to a training plan and pushing a run back a day because it was raining was ok. Now with a tighter schedule, I feel that I need to stick to my schedule or else, why spend the time planning the dang thing? I have to run in the morning or else it's not happening in my days and if it's raining, then so be it. I could go down to the basement and run on the treadmill, and I probably will for some of those easy 5K but for speedwork and pace based work, I'd rather do them on the streets. And you know what, I'm actually enjoying running in the rain!