View Single Post
Old 10-02-2015, 11:51 AM   #28
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
How else is the media supposed to respond to someone posting a tweet about this? She obviously felt safe enough to send out the original tweet.
I'd hope they would show some decorum, but clearly that's gone out the window in favor of getting the story first. There's also a chance she sent out the tweet hoping it might be useful information to followers or people who could conceivably be affected by the ongoing situation, not so that parasites 3000 miles away could use it for a cheap ratings boost. I'd even be a little more understanding if it was only national stations or Oregon ones, but why are local New York or Wisconsin affiliates desperately trying to get an on the ground interview?

I grew up in a great town outside Boston, continue to work at the HS, and I've seen multiple news vans three times. Twice when a pedestrian was struck and killed, once when a HS student committed suicide (occasionally one will show up for a particularly contentious town vote or a big sports game). For the last one I helped the administration throw reporters off campus because they were cornering crying teenagers, then watched them set up their cameras 10 feet off it so they could have our school as a nice backdrop while giving their report and try to interview any student walking past. They're leeches feeding off the pain and misery of others, and the 24 hour news cycle has only made it worse. I understand how ratings work, how freedom of speech works, and that the real problem is the large percentage of people who secretly love hearing about things like this as they complain about it, but I'm going to actively oppose them when I can't avoid them. I hate that I know the names and faces of Eric Harris, Dylan Klebold, Adam Lanza, Dylan Roof etc, and I'm sure I'll be bombarded with the name and face of this cowardly douchebag on the wall of TV's at the gym later.

I don't want complete media censorship or silence on events like this, but they long ago crossed the line between respectful reporting and fetishization and glorification of the psychos. I don't have a good answer for how to walk it back and cut down on the cycle, but maybe calling them out on their bullshit and making them feel a little ashamed helps just a little.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote