View Single Post
Old 11-05-2019, 10:56 AM   #6
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas in Cinti View Post
I'm following along... I like the format (as I usually do with your dynasties)...

Thanks, Chas! It's good to have you along for the ride. I especially appreciate your comment about the format, because that's something I always wonder about.

Week 1, 2004

Recruiting

The Harrisburg Way

I think recruiting is probably my favorite part of The College Years. I spend a lot of time planning my recruiting strategy, and I enjoy seeing how successfully I can execute my vision.

Harrisburg is a small program, so I'll be concentrating my recruiting efforts on Pennsylvania and the states that surround it. For one thing, I think it's realistic for a school the size of Harrisburg to have a recruiting footprint that's fairly small. My goal, then, is to establish Harrisburg as an attractive option for in-state talent. We're not ready to go toe-to-toe with powerhouses like Penn State or Pitt. If we can out-recruit the other Keystone Eight schools, and do as well as Temple, Rutgers, and the mid-major schools in Ohio, I'll be pleased with our efforts.

As I've mentioned before, I'm also looking for elite student-athletes. I want Harrisburg to rank among the top academic institutions in Division I football. I also don't want a team full of slackers, hooligans, and divas. Our team's DNA will be built around hard-working, honorable young men, the kind our university can be proud of.

And, it goes without saying that I want us to play winning football. Our first step will be to establish ourselves as a perennial contender for the Keystone Eight championship and the bowl bid that comes with it. Once we're there, we can set our sights on our next goal.

Recruiting Needs for 2004/05

We can award 16 scholarships each year. We have 10 scholarship seniors this season, four on offense and six on defense. So, at the very least, I'm looking to fill these positions with my first recruiting class:
  • 2 running backs
  • wide receiver
  • guard
  • inside linebacker
  • 2 outside linebackers
  • cornerback
  • 2 safeties

There are other positions that I would classify as "needs," because we either lack quality or depth there. Defensive tackle, center, quarterback, and wide receiver come to mind first. Of course, I won't overlook a stud who wants to play for us, even if he plays a position where we're fairly strong.
Greyfriars Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote