View Single Post
Old 11-05-2019, 04:04 PM   #12
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

Week 7, 2004

Erie (3-1, 1-0) at #43 Harrisburg (4-0, 1-0)

The Keystone Eight teams with the best records face off at Harrisburg today. We're 19-point favorites, but I have a feeling this game will be closer than that. I think most neutrals would take Erie and the points here.

Injury Report
G Buddy Everett has a severe hamstring pull that will cause him to miss the remainder of the season. Senior walk-on J.C. Taylor (Manchester) will start in his place. This is potentially a big loss, as Everett has played very well this year.

And your final score: Harrisburg 31, Erie 7

I write those previews before I press "Simulate Entire Week," so I can honestly say I'm very happy to be proven wrong. I thought our defense, with so many seniors, might be strong, and they have been. We limited Erie to 67 yards rushing on 24 carries. We're ranked 15th nationally in run defense.

Offensive Standouts:
FB Colin Clayton (9-55 rushing;, 7-73 receiving)
QB Rondell Price (14-23 passing, 132 yards, INT; 13-81 rushing, TD)
RB Bennie Wright (7-40 rushing, TD)
RB Oliver Martinson (5-22 rushing, TD)
G Johnnie Ross (7 key run blocks)
C Jerald Lucas (5 key run blocks)

Defensive Standouts:
DE Skip Lehr (7 tackles, 1.5 sacks)
OLB Teddy Curl (5 tackles, 1 sack, 1-0 interception)
S Junior Braden (6 tackles, 1-0 interception)

Game Ball: Colin Clayton
As tempting as it was to give the ball to Lehr, I couldn't overlook Clayton's contributions to the offense. He didn't put the ball in the end zone himself, but he picked up a lot of the tough yards along the way.

Props to Johnnie Ross and Jerald Lucas for owning the middle of the trenches.

Recruiting News

Hello!

RB Don Duran (Jacksonville, IL/Jacksonville HS)
DE Shannon Flannery (Tower City, PA/Williams Valley HS)
S Corwin Marvin (Piqua, OH/Piqua HS)

Robert Seitz has gotten a lot of hype this recruiting season, but I offered Duran a scholarship at the very same time and, unlike the more highly touted Seitz, Duran has made his choice. A quick little scatback, he's the #4 RB in Illinois, and #83 nationally. His 3.83 GPA and 1380 SAT make him an even more attractive recruit.

Flannery is an undersized (6'0", 207) defensive end who has rooted for Harrisburg all his life. His attitude is Terrific, however, and he works just as hard in the classroom (3.74 GPA, 1320 SAT). ShanFlan is the #4 DE in Pennsylvania, and I wouldn't be surprised if he's one of those players who turns out to be betterthan the "experts" thought he'd be.

Another player with a Terrific attitude, Marvin is the #3 safety in Ohio and is ranked #84 nationally. He ought to combine with Brent Cooper to give us a fine pair of safeties in the years to come. An aspiring teacher, Corwin has a 3.84 GPA and an especially shiny 1410 SAT score.

Goodbye: We missed out on Cornell Ellard, a really good LB I never really thought we'd land. He's off to UCLA, which doesn't surprise me.

We have nine open schollies now, and 16 players with offers outstanding. All of them are visiting campus.
Greyfriars Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote