View Single Post
Old 06-24-2014, 01:26 PM   #75
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I've been on flights where it goes either way. I'd say it's more like 2/3rds don't but 1/3rd do, but, again, a lot of my flights are in the Midwest.

Sometimes people are nice and let people by, sometimes they aren't. I've barely made flights, I've missed flights, and I've been stuck at an airport for 4 hours on a layover- it's the luck of the draw. Unless I'm on that tight connection or schedule, I'll let people by, personally. But if everyone else is getting up, I'll get up, too. It seems like there's a critical mass- if enough people don't bolt to the exits, everyone plays along and is nice. If a lot of people in those front rows rush into the aisle, there's no hope for the connectors.

However, I think, especially with increased airline consolidation, you end up with a lot of options of 45 minute connection or 4 hour connection with nothing inbetween. Personally, I can't remember the last time I did a sub 1 hour connection and I will actively avoid them at places like Atlanta or Chicago where your odds of making that connection are next to 0. Plus, there are a lot of places where you fly that you don't have the option of driving an hour to get to another airport. And one could argue it's another matter when it's a person's bucks they are putting towards travel versus company expenses: it's a little harder to argue when you're talking someone else's $250 to move your flight versus your own $1000 to change your family of 4's flight.

I'm just saying it's not quite as simple as you're making it out to be. And I disagree that it's not wholly on the people making the tight connections. If you're going to get up and block the way, you might be acting a little bit selfish and asshatish. But just like a lot of other people on that plane. (EDIT: And air travel just seems to bring out some of the worst in people).

SI

No, it's not that simple. It's situational.

It's just that many times the tight connection is simply due to poor planning on the part of flyer. Poor planning on their part doesn't constitute an emergency upon mine. If you're booking the Cincy > La Guardia 6:00 PM flight that's on time only 19% of the time (no kidding), don't expect me to remain seated while you're trying to catch a tight connection.

I entirely agree that air travel makes most everyone just a little bit asshatish. It's a fairly miserable experience. I thought some older man was going to get into it with a Hispanic guy for "line cutting" last week...and they hadn't even boarded first class yet!

Last edited by Blackadar : 06-24-2014 at 01:28 PM.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote