View Single Post
Old 04-02-2012, 02:30 AM   #148
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Apr 7 , 2012 (morning)
Our U18s lose to Hinckley 1-0, Russell Atkinson allows a goal in the 10th minute & that was it for the scoring, as we were outshot 18-4. That was ugly & I'm not thrilled to see our youngest/least skilled players starting while our best either subbed late or didn't play at all.

April 7, 2012 (afternoon)
Blyth (1st, 23-5-9) vs Boston Utd (22nd, 5-12-20)

Our first meeting was a 3-0 win at home, with Sawyer, Mole, and Mellish all scoring while Groves was MOM with an 8.1 thanks to an assist & generally being everywhere all day (12 interceptions). I don't want to take anything for granted but feel like we pretty much have to rest the regulars before playing Histon some 48 hours from now. Let's see if our reserves can get the job done. We're Pick 'Em favorites in spite of being at home today

We'll go 4-4-2 Standard to start

GK - Hartley
D: Martin - Jones - Buchanan - Purvis
MF: Phillips - Harrison - Janneh - Whiteley
F: White - Chinthengah
(Available: D'Laryea, McCabe, Slaughter, Mole, Knight)

04:13 - Austin with a header that hits the bounce & bounces clear
10:41 - White with a free kick that soars harmlessly high
20:24 - White finds Phillips high in the box, his shot is way over the bar
23:00 - Mannix shoots wide after a brief run into space
25:10 - Chinthengah with a free kick just outside the area on the right ... he aims for the far post, it's tipped by the keeper ... hits the crossbar & ricochets into the net GOAL !!! (1-0)
31:22 - Great defense turns to disaster as a clearance falls to Highdale 35 yards away, he fires & it beats Knight by hitting the crossbar & falling in (1-1)
33:15 - Chinthengah gets another crack at it, misses high from the arc
38:09 - White puts it high & wide

Halftime - This group is so young they look nervous, I'm not sure I calmed them much if at all. White took a knock just before the half, not sure how much more we can get from him but we're going to try, I'd rather not use Mole unless absolutely desperately necessary. We outshot them 7-4 and had 57% poss, can't cross for crap & have been lousy in the air. Our back line is really keeping us in this one so far.

46:48 - Harrison hits the post with a shot from the arc, so very close
50:36 - Mannix banks a shot in off Hartley & suddenly we're behind (1-2) Jellyman played a low cross nicely to him & he turned Hartley inside out
60:00 - Switch to Attack
66:00 - Sub McCabe for Whitely, Sub D'Laryea for Buchanan
76:00 - Sub Mole for Chinthengah (knocked) ... I guess I'm desperate enough

Fulltime - Just damn. We got what we deserved. It's on me, but it was a gamble I felt we had to take or risk having a tired squad get pounded by Histon. I'm not happy with our performance - regardless of who was on the pitch - and I calmly let the players know that.

Apr 7, 2012 (post-match)
Nuneaton beat Droylsden 2-1, tying us with 74 pts & taking over 1st place on GD.