View Single Post
Old 08-28-2019, 08:48 AM   #410
QuikSand
lolzcat

Today is final stage before the regular seasons. So, notes on the decisions here and the season ahead. It's QB Gelenaw's 12th year, he ought to start fading soon, but I'd like to keep in the top tier while he's still around.

-Rookie class - we did indeed get three serious hits in CB Herndon, RB Phelps, and C Castillo. The first two bumped in preseason, Castillo basically held, and all three look like long term meaningful assets - like a future CB2, RB1/2, and OL1/2 caliber, to me. That is a great draft, setting aside everything else.

-Rookie DT Grubbs looks like a fringe guy on talent alone, but he's got a chem mix that might make him attractive as a future group leader. But how do I find 8 starts for this one trick pony pass rusher, in a one-shot league?

-Not much exciting elsewhere on the roster, biggest impact in free agency was a swap at ILB (yawn) driven by chemistry problem (wrong guy took the group lead) but offset by a good veteran fit to replace him

-Contract extensions go out to CB Hakim (our CB1 and group leader) and a few other marginals... I'm in "maintain" mode mostly, so willing to overpay to ensure come cohesion building for the short term...one Gelenaw retires we will likely switch gears dramatically (though this team might be a good candidate for rent-a-vet QB then)

I'd guess we're a 10 win team, and a decent but not heavy pick to make postseason noise. We'll see if the backfield running game returns to being an asset, that would really help. Secondary is great, pass rush is solid, we shoudl be fine but not great.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote