View Single Post
Old 09-14-2019, 08:49 AM   #424
QuikSand
lolzcat

Okay, league on hiatus for a week, so Ive got time to cogitate.

To compete right away:

-WR1... we used Sierra, a 45/45 guy with no standout skills as our top guy last year... he was good for 7 ypt, but we need an 8.5 ypt guy to make this offense really hum. There are a few solid (not spectacular) guys in free agency, but no true fits for our chemistry system, one has a red flag. So, no obvious play here, without a trade. I'm open to dealing for somebody, but the real hope will be to land a top WR target in the draft - we have picks 20 and 21, and would be open to dealing up for a build-around target hog.

-Pass rushers. Rison is excellent. Tuholski should start this year, and ought to be fine. I'll try to re-sign McKenzie, but he's really just a rotation-caliber guy with excellent cohesion and chemistry - valuable, but in a generic way. Free agency has no great fits, but we might grab a journeyman to get into a three-man rotation right away with the top two. Plan B for early draft picks is to grab a pass rusher, as is apparently in my DNA coding (if you've read this thread).

-RB1/2, so Phelps looks like the real thing, I guess? 5.75 ypc last season for 1,356 yards and productive in the air game - I guess we're set. Keller is a great fit at RB2, but if I get outbid for him in the open market, we will try to find another good fit here for 50-100 carries and/or a 3rd down role. I don't like investing serious daft capital at RB, so ideally it would be a cheap veteran or a later-round splash.

-QB2. I have a good-chem backup guy, and in a no-injury league that is fine. We have options there, but nothing that would help us if Gelenaw retires after this season. So, I'll be on the lookout for a rookie at QB who could step in, hopefully gain some cohesion, and become a viable starter after a couple of years - hopefully we have that long to groom someone.

-DB. We are fine on paper, but I do have three of my safety rotation in free agency. If we get cleaned out there, then this becomes a short term priority. Long term, I really only have two young guys (Herndon is a CB1, DeWolf is a S3/4 both 3rd year) who look like long term assets, so landing a guy here with eye toward a long term role would be in play. A ballhawking safety could be a nice addition, thinking a couple seasons down the road - and I'm generally open to playing guys there with limited skills, so I'll hope to get a "good fit" guy in round two or three.

OL - Right now, I am locked in with starters, left to right: Woolford (4th, 76) G Bernhardt (6th, 41) Castillo (3rd, 75) Dielman (4th, 72) Darche (10th, 46) and I feel no real urgency here. It's obviously a candidate for a BPA pick, but here I am totally fine going with chemistry and cohesion as the guiding principles... I expect to keep Bernhardt in as the starter for that reason. If a great-fit tackle pops up as my BPA in the first couple rounds of the draft, I wouldn't skip a good WR to get him, but it's not out of the question.

TE. So, I have Noah Browning on a fat contract this year, but he'd be very expensive to extend, and he's a non-chem fit so... that's an open question. Peters (8th, 48) is the guy most likely to be our starter next season, leaving fill-in guys like Badgro and Lorz underneath, but not in the "important asset" level. Another position where I'm fine using journeymen, but if the right guy lands in the draft, could be a target literally anywhere. A middle round blocking-first and special-teamer would be fabulous, I love having a guy like that as my TE2/3.

LB. I'm basically one guy short of a full complement here. I have had not trouble finding role players at LB, and expect I can do that forever, but I will be bidding to retain 9th year guy Eddie Hodge for chem/coh. In a perfect draft, I might not target this position other than for depth, but being realistic - fairly often in the 20s LBs start to look like the BPA, and that could be a fall-back. Best case, we grab a good-affinity rotation-caliber run-stopper with some special teams skills in the 4th/5th round or so.

So, that's my thinking overall. I would like to come out of this offseason thinking we could reclaim the division, have a shot at a bye week, and make a push as a legit contender. Window seems like it's closing. But the free agent class doesn't have another Rico Rison who would step right into my top needs, and I will end up occupying a fair amount of a fairly good cap situation just re-signing my own guys and extending my walk year centerpieces. I think it's 50/50 whether my candid assessment after the offseason is more mediocrity or take-a-shot.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote