View Single Post
Old 09-19-2019, 12:07 PM   #429
QuikSand
lolzcat

So, basically... I should be doing stuff like this all the time, right? An honest assessment of me as a GM would probably be:

-Average or slightly better at gameplanning
-Below average, at least way below the top tier, in drafting
-Very good at managing contracts and free agency

A look back at my drafts from this league, or any of mine where I emphasize chemistry, would find that I am not getting as much from my rookie drafts as other people. The number of 3rd-4th-5th round picks that I end up cutting within the first two seasons is way too high. Sure, I get long term assets here and there, but all told I would be better if I could efficiently translate that equity into some other capital than risky young players. If every year I traded mt picks in rounds 2-7 all for one under-market veteran player I'd likely be better off.

A subtle part of this, not to be overlooked, is that after the draft I can look at the rookie class that remains and see their chemistry numbers. So, I'm less likely to be bringing aboard nice assets that are doomed, for me, by bad numbers (high Leadership / low Personality - that sort of bad combo). With a little work (no, the game makes you work for it, naturally) I can see who is coming into the league who would either be great chem fits given some starts, or who might eventually be great chem leaders. In that respect, an undrafted rookie is really a better asset to me in some cases than a late round draft pick.

It's fun to draft. It's sub-optimal for me. I should realign my thinking more. 4th round picks, who come along with a guaranteed first year of chemistry effects, might make sense for me on defense, but all told, making moves like this -- fewer picks, only at the top or maybe in the 4th, is my sweet spot.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote