View Single Post
Old 09-02-2022, 02:28 PM   #1275
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Cincinatti Masters

(16) Mahjab Thabet (NLD) is our lone first-round seed casualty; American Collin Tupper got him 6-3, 7-5. Tupper is a respectable 44th in the rankings, and when you factor in the crowd it's not really that much of an upset. (12) Eddy Copperfield went down in the next round, and his opponent is worth noting. 22-year-old Russian George Voronets would be swiftly dispatched by Papadias in the round of 16, but he's doing pretty well for a player of his age, up now to 26th. I expect it's a name we'll hear more from.

That was pretty much it with all of the top eight seeds make it to the quarterfinal round. Toni Bardales came an inch away from upsetting Polychroniadis, with only a tight third-set tiebreak sparing the world no.1. Reimann got past Solitris Papadias in two tight sets, Jochen Weigle had a respectable showing against Cananis but couldn't eliminate him, and Faille kept on his streak of good tournaments, knocking out #3 Themis Xanthos in a close one, 7-6(3), 7-6(3).

Alexander Reimann did that thing he does, competitive but not enough in a straight-sets first semi against Leon Polychroniadis. The other match was very close, with Ben Faille once again falling short against Cananis 3-6, 7-6(6), 7-6(6). So close ... but not close enough. Aside from a club tournament at the end of last season, Faille has not won once against the top German in 10 attempts, all of those opportunities coming in a year and a half. His time is coming, but not just yet.

Renke Cananis once more was stopped in a 6-2, 6-7(4), 6-3 victory for Polychroniadis, who claims his 11th Masters. Interestingly though, I've got a spreadsheet set up now for player ratings (more on that at the end of the year), and he's actually grading out a hair better than Leon is. This tournament is a good example of it; relatively minor but important mismanagement. Renke Cananis was exhausted by the end of it - 31.5 form - and he's in trouble going into the USO for that reason. Looks like he plays a couple tournaments too many a year. The manager, ton, is #2 overall without being VIP which is impressive, but the details matter and I'd say more than anything they are why it's Leon Polychroniadis who is atop the rankings.

Meanwhile Faille is up to 5th, and his chase of #4 Reimann is a big story going into the US Open.

Elsewhere ...

I unintentionally somehow entered Manoj Datar in the Winston-Salem Open (250). He lost in the first round of qualifying, suprising nobody. Ahh well. Sushant Srivastava had his best futures yet, almost losing in the first round of singles but making it to the final, and claiming the doubles title. I think he's starting to turn the corner. The others are off for training, but will be back in action soon.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote