View Single Post
Old 08-14-2005, 04:02 PM   #66
MalcPow
College Benchwarmer

12/26/05

Conference National - Home v. Woking

So with little margin for error we host Woking today. We've got another league match in two days to look forward to, and if we can get out to a lead, I'd like to pull some key players. We basically go with the starting squad we've been using except we've got Michael Malcolm in front as opposed to Erik Lund. And Stephen Cooke is on the right with Grant Leadbitter in reserve.

Kickoff

We're pressuring early, and appear to have some resemblance of our previous form back. There's just a lot more hop in our step, and attacking movements are more creative and interesting. In the 19th minute Franklin Simek picks up a potential injury, and Stephen Cooke appears much too fatigued, so I pull them both, hoping to avoid any big trouble. And bring Paul Culshaw in at the back, and Leadbitter for Cooke's wing position.

We fail to capitalize on our good form until the 41st minute when Michael Malcolm cleans up a mess of rebounds by driving the ball into the back of the net. We go to the half up 1-nil and looking good.

We come out firing not too long after the restart, with Adam Nowland using his skill to round a defender and beat the keeper cross corner. It's the 61st minute, and the goal puts us up 2-0. I pull David Fox immediately, trying to give him as much rest as possible, and bring Adam Fisk on.

Woking end up bagging a garbage goal in the 89th minute. But it's ultimately a mere consolation as we hold on for the points.

We look good again. And I'm hoping we got enough people some rest, and no serious injuries hit. Paul O'Connor picked up a potential injury in the last moments of the game. We could take maybe one injury, but if O'Connor and Simek both go down I'll be very uncomfortable.
MalcPow is offline   Reply With Quote