View Single Post
Old 06-09-2008, 06:47 PM   #7
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

I agree full blown rosters and games (which either leads to box scores and game logs or the desire by some to have those) is too much. I like the idea of recruiting pipelines, and if this is not based on just the head coach alone that is even better. If assistant coaches also had ties to certain high schools, then you are adding a lot to the game. Maybe you bring in an assistant because, despite his lack in one or two areas, he has built a great relationship with a top notch school in your area and you need those recruits. This off course would be helped by expanded coaching staffs at the college level, and not just an O.C. and D.C.

The different levels of prestige of high schools would be great as well. I understand that there would be many guys who would want this to be somewhat accurate. I wouldn't care though if the numbers were generated randomly, as long as they fell within some realistic guidelines based on population. Wyoming shouldn't have a high school which is always producing 5 star talent and helping the the Wyoming Cowboys win national titles.

To link those two points together though I bring up this scenario. I take a job coaching for Wyoming, a team who has not had a lot of success in my TCY universe because of an inability to bring in out of state talent. I come in with some relationships built up with high schools in some other state, say Arizona. I then bring onto my new coaching staff a coach with connections in Colorado, maybe one with connections in Utah and Idaho. From there I can start building my program with some out of state talent.

One good question would be what the criteria for building stronger reltionships with high schools would be? I think visits to that school would be something to increase your 'relationship rating' as well as sending assistants and other types of interactions. Something nice would be the ability to increase your rating with your local high schools quicker then in far off high schools.