View Single Post
Old 05-15-2011, 03:08 PM   #7
Barkeep49
Coordinator

For our first away game we had 9 kids on a miserably cold and rainy day yesterday.

We lost the game because of a disastrous 4th inning care of Nate and David, who once again had trouble locating the strike zone. It looked like David was going to get out of it only having allowed 1 or 2 runs, and getting 2 outs, but then the walks kept coming. We brought Nate in relief with the bases loaded which wasn’t much better as he let up a base clearing triple and then a run or two on his own before.

We were in danger of getting slaughtered heading into the bottom of the 5th, needing a run to avoid the slaughter. Due to a lack of available pitchers and a dearth of hitting, Steve and I are OK with losing and ending the game. So of course, Aaron gets on base with a walk and after having had Steve and I independently get on him a little about not being aggressive enough on the basepaths proceeds to steal the next 3 bases, so we avoid the slaughter heading into the bottom of the 5th. Of course they need only 1 run to clinch it.

So, wanting to save Jordan, who was originally scheduled to pitch the last 3 innings, for today (which wouldn’t have mattered thanks to a rainout) we throw Ross up there. Ross who we had no intention of ever pitching, Ross. So what does the kid do? He strikes out the first batter. When he allows a hit, I figure that is the start. Naturally then, he picks the kid off first to record the second out of the inning. A walk later, as the runner makes a jump for second Ross picks-off a SECOND batter, after a short rundown (which was actually our second correctly executed rundown of the day). He throws at batting practice speed, but he gets strikes and clearly he can pick people off, so he’s going to get to pitch again.

We score another run in the top of the 6th, so we end up throwing Jordan out there. Jordan lets up a few hits, and the “winning run” gets to 3rd, but looks like he’ll get out of it thanks to two strikeouts. Except the second strikeout was a dropped third and David bungles the throw from Aaron, letting the run score and making the game over.

Not a good day, but out team is appropriately upset without being depressed, which was good. I think the loses are weighing much more on Steve than on me at this point, because despite the losses I feel like our team is showing glimpses of being very good, we just have to learn to avoid the big inning.

Notes:
We were at 9, because Justin, Andrew, and Brett were on a school trip Friday and Saturday..David is having a crisis of confidence on the mound and I’m looking forward to working with him on pitching at practice this week...Danny also is doubting himself, especially with his fielding at 3rd base, where he’s allowed his share of errors...Michael’s been looking good at 3rd and which is putting pressure on Danny. We were in the pitching jam because Michael pitched 2 innings today when he was supposed to pitch none, but he will be eligible to pitch tomorrow, if needed. Michael got the game ball thanks to two great throws from CF leading to outs...We are having a real hard time rescheduling last Thursday’s rainless rainout.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote