View Single Post
Old 01-09-2009, 03:50 PM   #11
Radii
Head Coach

December 1, 2007

NC A&T(0-4) at Norfolk State (2-2)

Its the random early December conference game a month before any other conference games take place.

Norfolk State is rated 66 OVR, and they are only better than us in one category, you'll never guess which one. They have a SG rated 72 who looks to be their only threatening player.

13:00 1st - 12-11 Norfolk State leads. Ewing picks up foul #2 and sits, and the rest of the starters take a breather.

7:00 1st - Its 17-15 Norfolk State as we start bringing our starters back in.

Rush drains a 3 as the buzzer sounds to end the first half, and we trail 31-28 at the half. We're playing pretty well, but giving up too many easy baskets.

Ewing is our leading scorer at the half with 7 points. Reserve guard Alston has 6, Rush 5. Coleman and Willis have 4 each inside.

12:00 2nd - After tying the game at 37, Norfolk State scores 7 straight to take a 44-37 lead.

7:00 2nd - 57-49 as I start working my starters back into the game for the stretch run. At this point I'm scoring pretty well, but my big problem is that Norfolk State isn't missing anything inside. They're just repeatedly working the ball down low, sometimes to a cutting guard/SF, sometimes a big man, and every shot is going in.

3:30 - We trail 63-57 and are looking to make a comeback here after scoring a quick 6 points. I'm still having massive problems inside(Coleman is 3-11 from the paint) but I've got as much speed on the court as I'm capable of and have gotten a few layups out of my guards.

2:15 - Well, Ewing misses an open three and they score. Then Willis misses a point blank layup, gets his rebound, has his follow blocked, and they score. *sigh* 67-57.

Norfolk State 75
NC A&T 62

Key Stat:

NC A&T 33% Field Goal Shooting. Norfolk State 52%.

I did improve on some things this game that I'm very happy with. We only turned it over 10 times, while forcing 14 turnovers. We got outrebounded 33-26 though, and Norfolk State scored 44 points int he paint to only 24 for us.

Reserve guard(but future starting PG, more on that momentarily) Tavarus Alston scored 15 points today to lead the team. Willis scored 11 in the paint, while backup guard Glenn Nelson put up 10.

The biggest problem I had today was that Steven Rush couldn't get anything to fall. He went 2-14 on the day for only 9 points. If he shoots a little better down the stretch we're only down 1 posession in the final 2 minutes.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote