View Single Post
Old 01-24-2009, 10:25 PM   #36
Radii
Head Coach

February 23rd, 2008

NC A&T(8-13, 6-7 MEAC) at Winston Salem State (11-11, 8-5 MEAC)

We're rated the same, we have very slim offensive edges, they have slim defensive edge, and they have a big rebounding edge as far as the ratings go. This is another team we played close the first time through, losing 79-75 despite a huge effort from Rush(29 points). Their SG, Brian Fisher, put up 26 on us despite fairly pedestrian ratings.

Winston-Salem State has one of the highest team unities we've seen, at 60. We're sitting at 41 now.

17:45 1st - Alston picks up 2 quick(and stupid) fouls and sits.

11:30 1st - We trail 24-15 as our subs come into the game. We're struggling a bit with their full court press, a few poor passes and turnovers have not helped us. We're also struggling inside on defense. They're getting more than their fair share of easy buckets inside.

8:30 1st - We are falling way behind and don't seem to have any answers... 33-17 now.

4:00 1st - WOW, 42-23... we're just getting destroyed. We had it down to 12, 35-23, and they're on a 7-0 run.

Winston Salem State shoots 65% from the floor in the first half, including 5-11 from 3, on their way to a crushing 54-31 lead. They're outrebounding us 18-9(9!!), they have 8 steals, many coming out of their full court press... its just bad. When they're not taking it from me in the backcourt, they're putting back their own misses. 7 offensive boards leading to 9 second chance points for WS State.

Rush has 15 points for me, no one else is doing anything at all.

The closest we got in the 2nd half was 21....

Winston Salem State 101
NC A&T 73

Our starters couldn't even gain any ground on their reserves in the second half.

I see why Rush scored so many in our first contest... the only buckets we could manage most of the game were when we broke their press and had Rush 1-on-1 against their big man. Between that and just finding Rush for a desperation shot when we coudln't run our offense well, he had a huge day... 34 points on 11-26 shooting, only 4-13 from 3.

Ewing scored 9 and a couple guys scored 7. Just an awful, awful game.

With 4 games left in the season, we're 6-8 in conference play. It would take winning two road games but I still have hopes for a 3-1 finish and a 9-9 conference record.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote