View Single Post
Old 04-22-2021, 12:59 AM   #4
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Well I'll be paying attention, cause (for better or worse, mostly worse) I do have some familiarity with the niche, parentally at least.

A few things jumped out at me in this introduction, at least one of which I gotta comment on

Quote:
Oregon inexplicably does 4 singles and 4 doubles for matches in high school. I hate it, along with the format that they use to determine state champions. Each match is worth 1 point, most points wins the dual match. If you tie, the tiebreaker is sets, then total games.

Umm ... what in name of Margaret Court is THAT? EIGHT?

Georgia is a 3 singles / 2 doubles format for HS and somewhat rarely do all the matches even finish (which would kinda screw with your tiebreaker stuff).

The biggest controversy in HS tennis in some years here has been arguments about whether to play best of 3 sets (with 7 or 10 point tiebreak for third set only) OR whether to skip third sets entirely and go straight to tiebreak. Otherwise, honestly, I thought our format was kinda the normal standard (tho I've heard of some best of 7 match stuff in a surrounding state or two)

But ... EIGHT? Who came up with THAT?

----

Side note here, just cause I figure it'll register with you more than most.

My kid's HS was/is a powerhouse, perennial state final four boys and often likewise for the girls. But the boys? They just wrapped up their THIRTY FOURTH consecutive region title. 13 state titles in that stretch, including 8 in a row (97-04), though the last came back in 2009.

Easy to figure "private school outside of Atlanta" BUT the streak has endured across numerous region realignments, multi-class "area" organization, public/private mixed, private-only alignments, and the coming & going of multiple other state contending programs (including Buford & Wesleyan) being part of the region. No matter what, they've just kept winning region titles. (And I think that's been done under at least 5 different coaches, who often contributed little to the success, mostly filling the role of coaching in the paperwork / driving the bus / making sure everybody gets fed & watered sense)

Much like you mentioned, classification doesn't matter much in terms of competitiveness when rosters are this small. Their best regular season opponents are drawn from the ranks of schools 4x-8x their size.

Sorry for the sidebar but I thought the length of the streak might resonate with you.