View Single Post
Old 04-26-2022, 11:14 AM   #48
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

We're back in action this week with 4 contests as the regular season nears its end.

It's rivalry day today. We beat them 7-1 last time with arguably a riskier lineup than the one we're trotting out today. The open question of today is what lineup adjustments did they make. I know the varied options, we're betting on the one that's most advantageous to us.

Tomorrow is senior day, we play the only other team in our league we haven't yet played. They don't seem to be having an especially good year, I'm expecting on senior day that it'll be pretty inspired tennis and a big win.

Thursday we play the league's worst team, I'm just making sure I have at least 10 players -- they're probably going to forfeit 4th doubles -- and that we have someone for their #1 player who is solid and feisty so we don't lose the bagel opportunity.

Friday we play a match against a JV program that's in its first year. I upgraded it to varsity so I could promote a bunch of kids, but they're extremely inexperienced. The singles roles will be anchored by my Varsity 2 players who are rotation players for us, but we're too deep for them to play every match.

With them at least it'd be a 4-4 match if our doubles teams don't know how to play at all. I don't coach them, the JV coach does and there's too many kids really for us to really integrate them because the talent disparities are pretty significant. If I were to do this another season, I'd probably work to make that thing way more structured because right now anyone who is any good usually has to join varsity.

Winning today's rivalry match essentially wraps up the league title (for the 3rd consecutive season) though technically we won't formally clinch it until we win next Monday for that rescheduled rainout from last week. In theory, we could lose the next two matches but it'd require us to forfeit, as even our non Top 5 players could win us the next 3 matches without much incident. (I do not want to test this theory, universe. Just clarifying the formalities.) With the tiebreaker over our rivals, we'd just need to beat teams we usually beat, then the last two matches won't really matter (though we're pretty protective of the win streak.)

Last edited by Young Drachma : 04-26-2022 at 11:19 AM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote