View Single Post
Old 06-07-2023, 09:24 AM   #19
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

This could probably go in the Weather thread, but I have a specific question related to my upcoming vacation for anyone in Canada, so I'm putting it here.

I figured a summer Canada driving vacation would be a pretty safe bet, relatively speaking. However, the wildfires have me concerned. We leave in 2 weeks and are driving up to Toronto to Ottawa to Mont Tremblant to Montreal to Quebec City between the 23rd and 1st. Right now, the smoke maps I'm seeing do not look good. I read that at the Yankees game last night they had an air quality index in the 150s so I assume it's worse in some areas of Canada.

Anyway, my questions are... what's it looks like on the ground right now, and does anyone see a long-term forecast that suggests this should be contained or dissipated due to a change in weather (rain, etc.)? I don't want to blow up an entire vacation that was planned (and priced out) last summer a week before we go, but I also have no interest in dealing with serious smoke issues.

Everything I read and see is mainly focused on impact to US cities and nothing really discussing long-term (like 2-3 weeks out), so I'm curious if anyone closer to the situation is hearing/seeing things. This map is very helpful, but it's only a 2 day forecast:

Smoke Forecast - FireSmoke.ca

From looking at what I think are the equivalent levels of what we consider to be the Air Quality Index in the US and the PM2 levels on that map... I'm more than a bit concerned about being up there for 10 days if those levels maintain.

On a completely unrelated note... anyone got thoughts on a vacation that can be planned on the fly without completely breaking the bank?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 06-07-2023 at 09:26 AM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote