View Single Post
Old 06-08-2023, 09:10 AM   #23
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
This could probably go in the Weather thread, but I have a specific question related to my upcoming vacation for anyone in Canada, so I'm putting it here.

I figured a summer Canada driving vacation would be a pretty safe bet, relatively speaking. However, the wildfires have me concerned. We leave in 2 weeks and are driving up to Toronto to Ottawa to Mont Tremblant to Montreal to Quebec City between the 23rd and 1st. Right now, the smoke maps I'm seeing do not look good. I read that at the Yankees game last night they had an air quality index in the 150s so I assume it's worse in some areas of Canada.

Anyway, my questions are... what's it looks like on the ground right now, and does anyone see a long-term forecast that suggests this should be contained or dissipated due to a change in weather (rain, etc.)? I don't want to blow up an entire vacation that was planned (and priced out) last summer a week before we go, but I also have no interest in dealing with serious smoke issues.

Everything I read and see is mainly focused on impact to US cities and nothing really discussing long-term (like 2-3 weeks out), so I'm curious if anyone closer to the situation is hearing/seeing things. This map is very helpful, but it's only a 2 day forecast:

Smoke Forecast - FireSmoke.ca

From looking at what I think are the equivalent levels of what we consider to be the Air Quality Index in the US and the PM2 levels on that map... I'm more than a bit concerned about being up there for 10 days if those levels maintain.

On a completely unrelated note... anyone got thoughts on a vacation that can be planned on the fly without completely breaking the bank?

Total armchair opinion, but I would suggest proceeding as planned, bringing N95s for everybody, and prioritizing your outdoor activities in case you find the air's too rough for everything you hoped to do. It seems too difficult to project what the fires/winds will be 2-3 weeks in advance.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote