View Single Post
Old 07-06-2012, 10:26 AM   #115
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Tara Invite @ Steve Lunquist Aquatic Center - July 7 - 8

The Tara Invite is the last long course meet before the state championships and all 3 kids will be swimming in this one. The twins will swim for SA and Brett will actually swim for Chat. Gold (up until now he was swimming unattached as there is a waiting period when kids switch teams to reduce recruiting of swimmers). This meet functions a bit like a last chance meet as quite a few of the great regional a swimmers are skipping the meet because they have no reason to swim it, as they have already qualified for state in everything they want to swim.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bailey

200 Free
Last time Bailey swam this it was a big disappointment. Bear was able to swim this event 15+ seconds faster and that shouldn't happen. I'm hoping for a better time...something around 3:05 would be good. Seed time is 3:14.55 and she is seeded 7th overall at the event.

100 Breast
Bailey hasn't swim this event long course yet, so it will be interesting to see where she ends up. Her breast has looked a bit better lately...but I really don't have a good guess here. If I was put on the spot, I'd say sub 1:50 would be good...

100 Backstroke
Bailey's 1:42.07 is probably a bit slow...but she has to stay out of the ropes. If she can do that, I expect this one will improve

50 Breast
Current time is listed as 51.51...she could improve this if good form holds up through the race

50 Back
Still no cut in this race...47.31 coming in...we'll see how brave she is with the walls on the finish. That plus not getting into the ropes are the key.

50 Free
Still need to clean up the pull portion and get an earlier catch to improve. Has the potential to do much better than her 39.39...but won't until she figures the upper body part out...

---------------------------------------------------------

Brett

200 Free
Seed time is 3:17.xx, he can improve on this a good bit if he is willing to push himself. Because he's never done many distance events (and I know 200s aren't really distance, but they are for him), he has a tendancy to hold back and conserve energy. If he'll go harder we could see a good bit of improvement.

100 Breast
Here brett is seeded 6th overall...and only 3 seconds from 4th. He could do well here...seed time 1:44.22

100 Back
Form is much better here...but the kid still doesn't like being on his back in the water and he doesn't race this well. Needs to increase effort significantly. If he does, he'll improve a bunch. If not, we'll see more of the same regarding time. Seed time 1:45.10

100 Free
Improved form here too... and again it is about effort. Gotta work harder to improve...and can pretty easily if he has the stamina. No official Seed time -

200 IM
Swam this in the meet in mid June and recorded a 3:33.xx, but was DQed for a minor mistake on a turn. No big deal, the bigger issue was just getting him to swim the event. He'll probably try to beg out of this one again this weekend...we'll see. If he doesn't I don't expect a time improvement as I would guess he'll conserve his energy so he'll finish. Officially he comes in with a NT

50 Breast
Overall he's seeded 4th in this one, and 1 second from 2nd place (no shot at 1st). Seed time 47.72. Hopefully, he has a good race here with swimmers around him and it pushes him to a Personal Best, because if he improves by about a half a second he'll have the state cut.

50 Back
See 100 Back...no official seed time (though I believe he swam a 51.xx at time trials earlier this year)

50 Free
No seed time, but I swear he swam a 39.9 in mid June (wasn't at that meet or I'd know for sure)...I know he swam a 41.12 during time trials earlier this year (lack of times is due to switching teams and not having access to the SA Database with times recorded)

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Bear

Bear is set up to do real well in this meet as you'll see below...

200 Free
Bear comes in seeded 2nd and only a fraction of a second behind the top seed. Seed time 2:56.74...if he gets his adrenaline going in this one he could win it...and post a personal best.

50 Fly
Bear is seeded 3rd here, less than a second from 2nd. Seed time 45.18.

100 Breast
Bear continues to improve in this stroke, but it is still by far his weakest. He has no seed time listed, as we've not asked him to swim the 100 Breast until now as his stroke was too weak. No idea where he will finish...and here is why...

50 Breast
Amazingly, the boy is seeded 4th overall, with a time of 54.24. Less than a second from second. I don't expect much here, but wouldn't be totally surprised with a personal best.

50 Back
Seeded 8th overall with a time of 46.70. A good swim and he could get the state cut. But of course he has to stay off the ropes, which has become a big problem for us during summer league.

50 Free
Bear is tied for the top seed time here, and I believe he is faster than his time, but I expect someone from the back of the pack, who hasn't swum this event in a while and is seeded based on an old time to come out of nowhere and win this one. Seed time 38.04

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: Unfortunately, we recently returned from a vacation, where the kids missed a full week of practice. So they won't be in top form this weekend, which could have a significantly negative impact on their performance....keeping my fingers crossed it doesn't, but expecting it will...
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote