View Single Post
Old 08-01-2012, 10:26 AM   #131
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Summer Swim League – GRPA State Championship

The 3rd race of our afternoon was Bailey’s 25 Yard Fly. She came in seeded 7th, and after her strong leg in the Medley relay I felt pretty confident she’d qualify for the finals.

The race started and Bailey got a poor start…she was last off the blocks and my confidence immediately dropped a bit. In a 25 yard race a poor start can be a major impact…but Bailey swam strong blew by most of the field. Finished 2nd in her heat and posted a strong 15.69 time.

After all the heats were run, Bailey ended up in 7th place and swimming in the finals.

-------------------------------------

As soon as Bailey was finished, it was Bear’s turn to go. He was going to have a tougher time making the individual finals, and even after his strong swim in the Medley I didn’t think he’d make it.

At the start of his race the official blew it…For some reason the starter had the swimmers take their mark, but then held them a bit longer than normal and half the field started leaning forward….which should have resulted in a false start, but the starter fired the gun instead…thus allowing half the swimmers a rolling start. An audible gasp went up from the stands when the swimmers weren’t called back to the start…and many coaches protested the heat. As far as Bear is concerned…it hurt him because he wasn’t one of the ones that rolled through the start - and he typically is one of the best starters in a heat, but he wasn’t going to make the finals anyway. He swam a pretty good 16.86 and finished 15th…To make finals, he would have needed to be 15.7 or better and he has never come close to that number.

Last edited by Breeze : 08-01-2012 at 10:26 AM.
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote