View Single Post
Old 08-08-2012, 08:34 AM   #139
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Offseason Notes

Not much to report right now as the kids are still enjoying their time out of the pool. Swimming will start up for Brett and Bear on Monday (8/13) (though Bear will be limited...he'll probably just do kick sets the whole time). Bailey will start a week from Monday (8/20). We haven't discussed any goals at this point but I'll fill you on on them and the odds that we achieve them later.

Right now the biggest thing we are doing is trying to put weight on Brett. When he went for his checkup recently he weighed in at 66.5 lbs. The doctor told him at that time that if he didn't put on weight we'd have to readdress his lifestyle (read as...change your meds to a non-stimulant or pull you out of the pools so you don't burn so many calories or both). This has my wife and I very concerned, as his meds are working very well for him and swimming is his only sport.

We've really been pushing him to eat more (man is that frustrating), and we've provided him with a bunch of junk to eat (Doctor's orders, believe it or not)...but we are still fluctuating quite a bit. In fact, it is suprising how much his weight varies.

We are basically doing the following to try and gain weight...

Breakfast (try to get 800 Calories)
Snack - (300 Calories)
Lunch (800 calories)
Snack (300 Calories)
Dinner (800 Calories)
Bedtime snack (600 calories)

Plus we try to get him do drink juice throughout the day to add a few hundred more calories. Honestly, he isn't great about any of this...and he often comes in under the target numbers. Which may not seem like that big of deal...but when he comes in under on all of the meals and doesn't drink (which he almost never does), he ends up around 2200 to 2500 calories, which isn't going to put weight on. We have gotten him up to 70 lbs., (actually over 70...the highest we've recorded is 71.8), and I've challenged him to keep it above 70. We'll see. He was dead on 70 last night, so he'll really have to eat to keep above that number. We'll see what happens. Hoping to get him to 75 lbs by the end of the year...
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote