Thread: 2018 MLB Thread
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2018, 01:22 PM   #468
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
If he hits 35+ homers and OPS's .950+ for a season do you really want him pitching?

Also is the DH able to enter the game as a pitcher? If so, couldn't they insert him as a large chunk of a bullpen game type strategy? Throw 4-6 innings every 5-6 days?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
I think the issue is having him DH limits his value somewhat. I mean he has over half his offensive WAR in 82 games just from pitching 10, and a good few of those were abbreviated starts either due to injury or precautions.

If he’s an every day RF it’s a much more viable proposition in terms of value I think, but then you’ve got the TJ issue. I’m not sure there’s anywhere on the field he could play except maybe 1B that isn’t going to have him out for most of 2019. Like Bug pointed out with Seager it’s a very different proposition for somebody who has to make a ton of throws in the field.

No idea on the DH to P rules but I’d guess that isn’t allowed.

Basically if Ohtani were to DH, and then take the mound, his spot in the order then becomes the pitcher's spot. That means if he's replaced on the mound, the incoming pitcher then bats in his spot, as do any subsequent pitchers; you can double switch around that, but the bottom line is that once Ohtani sets foot on the field, there's a "pitcher's spot" in the lineup to deal with for the remainder of that game.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote