View Single Post
Old 09-07-2011, 10:41 PM   #784
Radii
Head Coach

-- A sellout is expected as we open the season at home.

August 10th, 2019

Leicester @ Ipswich

We're even money favorites in our first match back in the Championship today. Leicester finished 6th last year in the Championship, making the playoffs but failing to advance. We're 5-10-3 lifetime against Leicester. We beat them in the FA Cup last year 5:1 and tied them 5 of the last 6 times we met in the Championship prior to that.

GK: Carlos Antonio
D: Kirkland/Welsh/Henrique/Berthet
M: Colak/Mills/Donnelly/Gordon
ST: Hamilton/Constantino

My backups are Mariga, McKerr, Khan, Hughes, Jackson, Burke, and Chris Mason. This leaves Guarin, Brown, and Ian Taylor out in the cold. With our speed and talent advantage my default behavior this year will be to play wide and to attack until I learn that i need to do something different.

3': they shoot first on a free kick from 25 yards out, a nice bending shot that hits the left post.

5': We earn a corner after some good possession, Constantino tried a ball to Hamilton that was tackled behind. Corner goes nowhere.

10': They try to clear a cross but Donnelly recovers, puts a great ball into the area for Turgay Colak, he's got our first clear cut chance of the season... but puts it into the side netting.

22': We have a throwin in their end, after a pass Henrique shoots from 25 yards out, it deflects off a defender and is easily saved. Their keeper kicks it long down the left side and oh dear god they have a man streaking down the left unmarked... midfielder Neokleous totally breaks free here, our defenders can't catch up, he's into the area and has a clear cut chance that he puts to the far post for a goal. 0-1

30': They show good patience and passing in controlling the ball on the left side for a good long while, they aren't able to threaten but we can't take it away either, eventually Gordon commits a foul. On the free kick we concede a corner and clear it away.

41': Two highlights in a row with crosses into the area for Simon Hamilton, on both of them he wins his header and puts the ball into the crossbar. So close!

HALF: We could be doing a lot better here, one jailbreak counter attack for them and a few missed chances for us. We have 7 shots to their 5, each team has just 1 on target so far. Possession is even and we struggle to win in the air here, winning 50% of our headers to their 65%. We'll be checking this a bit closer this year to see where our troubles lie and will try to adjust if possible. For now though, keep up the pressure.

46': We advance quickly after kickoff and earn a throwin in their end. Gordon takes it into the area... they head it out but Henrique is there to pick up the loose ball. He makes a run unmarked into the area and gets a strong shot off but its from a narrow angle and saved. We earn a corner but they head it away.

54': Long attacking move for Ipswich.. we try a couple through balls but they push it back out... eventually we get it out wide right, a brilliant cross is played in by Gordon, Hamilton gets to it around 8 yards out and heads it... but the keeper positioned well and was able to dive and push it away and they clear it.

75': Jack Hughes in for Colak, Mariga in for Mills.

91': As we push harder to try to get the tying goal, we are pretty high up on a goal kick. Berthet goes up with ST Carroll for a header... Berthet misses the header, they push it ahead and ST Wright is able to get to the ball and lob it over the head of Carlos Antonio to seal the deal. 0-2

Ipswich 0 : 2 Leicester

I'm pretty sure this is 3 years in a row where I've gotten off to a very disappointing first match for Ipswich. Doh!!

No one played well but no one was terrible either. ST Hamilton puts up a 6.3, our lowest rating, missing one of our 2 clear cut chances. Clearly some things we can improve upon.

I look at the headers... Henrique 12/18, Hamilton 8/14 on the good side. Gordon 2/11, Donnelly 1/9, Constantino 8/18, Welsh 5/13(that one surprises me, I expect him to get pretty good in the air in defense).

Prematch comments from my assistant indicate that "a number of our players are still trying to blend into the squad." I went with the same lineup every friendly to help with that but it makes sense that we'll need a bit more time for that.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote