View Single Post
Old 09-07-2011, 11:34 PM   #786
Radii
Head Coach

League Cup 2nd Round Draw

We just hope to avoid the EPL to have our best chance to keep advancing. We end up getting a home match vs Fulham, a team spending their 8th year in a row in the Championsihp after a nice long EPL run in the first decade of the century. Fair enough.

August 17th, 2019

Exeter @ Ipswich

Even money favorites today against Exeter. We'd be embarrassed to start 0-2 at home. They finished 19th last year and have struggled each of the last 3 years in the league.

GK: Carlos Antonio
D: Kirkland/Welsh/Henrique/McKerr
M: Hughes/Mills/Mariga/Gordon
ST: Hamilton/Constantino

McKerr is in for the injured Berthet. Hughes starts for Colak out left today, Mills and Mariga are the central mids. Attack attack attack.

5': Hamilton earns us a corner with a shot from 25 yards out, saved and turned behind... corner is cleared, we fight to keep the ball in the attacking end but finally they make a good long clearance.

16': They get a free kick in our end and earn a corner off it, we clear easily though.

18': Mariga plays a ball forward to Constantino. He shows great control to get by his man and into the area but its crowded, he pulls out wide to the right, puts in a short cross, and Hamilton is there, wins the header, and its into the back of the net! His first goal for us. 1-0

33': An attacking move down the right... Gordon sends it to McKerr, a cross into the area, Hamilton wins a header 15 yards away, he gets a solid shot, but its a bit high, good effort.

HALF: I've dropped to key highlights for now so we're seeing a little less in low shot matches. We do have 8 shots, 4 on target, only allowing one shot all half. This is more like what I expect to see most of the year. We're winning in the air today too which is good to see. Go team!

48': They earn a corner and Carlos Antonio has to make two saves in the process of conceding another corner, this one we clear and look to counter. Its played quickly to midfield, then sent out left for us to build up, Hughes ends up sending a cross in, Hamilton gets his head to it but its easily saved.

54': A pass ahead to Constantino leads to a long run down the right... he plays a solid cross into the 6 yard box, Hamilton charges it, wins the header from very close range, but the keeper somehow stops it! That was a clear cut chance and he probably should have scored, there was a lot of the net open there.

58': Constantino receives a pass 30 yards out, splits two defenders, and is tackled just before he gets into the area... no card. Gordon's shot is blocked.

66': Free kick from 25 yards out, I didn't see how we earned it. Gordon takes it and shows some of the potential he has to be a set piece god, bending it around the wall and rocketing it into the right side of the net. 2-0

81': They counter attack, a long ball goes ahead to ST Rooney, he makes Welsh miss a tackle, gets into the area and puts a good shot by the keeper. 2-1

81': Jackson in for Gordon, Guarin in for Hughes, Burke in for Welsh. Guys i want to rest + guys I don't look to be playing as often. I made these subs before we gave up the goal but I'm confident we'll hold.

90': Hamilton with a foul about 25 yards out. They earn a free kick, its taken off the wall and Carlos Antonio holds it safely.

We hold out for the win pretty easily here.

Ipswich 2 : 1 Exeter

Man of the Match: Constantino (9.0)
Goals: Hamilton (7.2), Gordon (7.5)
Assits: Constantino 2
Notables: Kirkland (7.1)

Everyone else in the 6.8-6.9 range. Carlos Antonio had a 7.3 until that goal was let in, I want to see him do well.

We were much better in the air today. Steven Mills at MC is a big reason winning 10 of 13. Our four defenders combine to win 23 of 24 headers. I love Constantino and love his speed and flashy goals, but it made me real happy to see crosses being won by Hamilton and actually threatening them.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote