View Single Post
Old 07-28-2014, 12:05 PM   #462
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

GRPA State Championships - PRELIM RESULTS

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bailey

#39 Girls 12&U 200 Medley Relay Prelims (3) 2:08.06 – The first event of our Saturday was this relay, and after the circle seeding Bailey’s B relay lined up right next to the A team. Bailey’s group did a nice job of staying in contact with the A team and they finished second in the heat…with a strong time of 2:04.83. After all the heats were finished, Bailey’s group was second overall heading into finals that afternoon. Bailey’s fly split was recorded as a 29.97.

#57 Girls 11-12 100 IM Prelims 1:10.75 – Bailey looked good in this one…dive was a bit deep, but she seemed to do a better job underwater so it didn’t hurt her like it typical does. She also did well in the back, and ended up with at time of 1:10.15…a best time and good enough for sixth seed in the finals.

#69 Girls 11-12 50 Fly Prelims 30.24 – Again dive was a little deep, but again, she powered through better than normal. This wasn’t a great swim with a final time of 30.50…in fact, for a few minutes I was concerned she might not make finals. As it was, the swim was good enough for seventh…

#75 Girls 12&U 200 Free Relay Prelims (1) 1:57.51 – Given the fact Bailey was in the C relay, I felt they really needed to get a good swim in so they could make finals. As it turned out, Bailey’s group won the their heat! I was shocked, then I watched their time of 1:54.71 hold up…as they finished with the fourth fasted seed time in the prelims. Bailey led off the relay, and she swam a 28.4…which is a legit time due to the cold start, and it is also a personal best.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bear

#40 Boys 12&U 200 Medley Relay Prelims (1) 2:14.98 – Like Bailey’s C Free relay, this team needed a good swim to make finals. It started off with Bear’s back leg, and he definitely didn’t disappoint. He ended up swimming a 33.74 split, and given the cold start this is a legitimate time and a personal best. The team went on to finish in a time of 2:15.91…good enough for sixth.

#64 Boys 11-12 50 Back Prelims 34.58 – Bear’s good split in the back earlier in the day, gave me hope he might slip into the finals with a similar swim here. He started off real good, but then crowded the wall too much on the turn, which scrubbed his speed. He ended up finishing with a time of 34.57…which seeded him tenth, so second alternate for finals.

#76 Boys 12&U 200 Free Relay Prelims (3) 1:54.29 – Bear’s B free relay was a strong race finishing with a time of 1:52.10, seeding them fifth going into finals. Bear swam the third leg, and really looked strong, opening up a lead on the swimmers around him. His split was a 27.63, a big improvement for him.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Brett

#42 Boys 14&U 200 Medley Relay Prelims (2) 2:06.41 - Brett’s relay, also a C needed a good swim. The backstroker did a nice job, then Brett dove in. He looked real good using his new stroke. He didn’t close on the leaders, but no one closed on him either. I don’t have his exact split (I’ll explain later), but in timing his swim on the video I have him just under 35 seconds. The reason I don’t have his exact time is because the butterflyer in the relay left early – And when I say early – I MEAN REALLY EARLY. In fact, it was so early, that the official standing in that lane (who is a friend of ours), said to me, “I was legitimately concerned that the kid was going to dive on Brett.” He missed Brett’s feet by inches…It was really Sad, because they would have made finals. Even if I penalize his relay over a second for the early start by the flyer, they would have qualified sixth.

#54 Boys 13-14 50 Breast Prelims 36.60 – This was the moment of truth for Brett. He started off with his new stroke well. The as he approached the turn, he was neck and neck with 3 other swimmers, and he reverted back to his old style for 3 or 4 strokes. Coming off the wall, he went back to the new form and finished with a 35.71. This is a personal best, and a very encouraging result given his new stroke changed just a few days before this race. Unfortunately, while this swim was very good, he ended up ninth, so first alternate…he was disappointed in this…but still encouraged moving forward.

#78 Boys 14&U 200 Free Relay Prelims (5) 1:48.98 – As expected Brett didn’t swim this event.

Last edited by Breeze : 07-28-2014 at 12:57 PM.
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote