View Single Post
Old 10-10-2023, 06:39 PM   #322
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64
To answer your question, they've had it for 2 weeks now. We've had pretty much zippo news or updates.

A lot of that is it just being a slow process. Science inherently is. It's like how after JWST takes a 'picture' of whatever, actually getting that in a form where it can be reasonably shown to the public takes time, and often there isn't .... anything interesting to show. It takes a few months if people are working really hard and quickly on it to analyze the data and get research papers done, at which point new proposals are made for like 6-12 months after that in terms of what we'd like to get more data on based on what the first round of images found.

Stuff like live camera of opening the capsule ... I mean what's in it is rocks and dust, almost certainly visually indistinguishable from the average person's backyard. Potentially interesting science takes a lot longer that two weeks to even get started on. It's like the camera they put on Artemis I. People threw a fit that JWST didn't have one, even though it would have compromised the mission, and then the Artemis camera was ... aggressively boring and largely ignored, because of course it was, because you can get a lot more information from telemetry than a live feed when 99.99% of the time there is nothing visually interesting happening whatsoever.

It feels to me like what's being looked for is something that moves at the speed of modern news/social media. Science is not that and never will be. They have people going on shows like StarTalk all the time and talking about actual results, which is when it matters. As soon as new findings come out about this or that there are plenty of creators putting out information - and disinformation about it, and talking about what it all means, and interviewing relevant people. There's even been plenty of that ahead of time, with various creators talking about what tests on the material in the capsule would be done and so on, and why they weren't even going to start trying to open it for a week after it landing, and all of that fun stuff.

I'm not saying NASA is perfect on this or anything, but I don't really see anything of much value they could add. Speculation on the unknown, and completely un-visually interesting feeds don't add much. You can't do an effective marketing campaign on the timescale science happens at. People don't have that much of an attention span.

ETA: From NASA's blog on OSIRIS-REx:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel Barry, Johnson Space Center
Over the coming weeks, the curation team will move the TAGSAM head into a different specialized glovebox where they will undertake the intricate process of disassembly to ultimately reveal the bulk sample within.

In other words, we're talking a period of months from touchdown to even getting the majority of the material out of the equipment it's kept in. And that's before you even *start* to do tests on it.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 10-10-2023 at 06:44 PM.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote