View Single Post
Old 06-20-2013, 11:17 AM   #446
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalBumCover View Post

My initial thought would be to just work on building my mileage first with no speed-work at this time. Once I maintain 20 miles/week, then I can branch out to a more specific goal.

What do you think FOFC?

That is pretty much what I did. Almost every single one of my friends told me that the two easiest ways to improve my running at the start was:

1) Run more
2) Lose weight

You are pretty close to where I was when I finished C25k both time wise and endurance wise. My suggestion is not to worry about any of the other speed work or such for a while. Just work on your aerobic base so you can get to the point that you can run without the walk breaks (even at a slower pace if needed). Just by running more, you'll get faster automatically as your fitness improves.

Obviously I don't mean go out and run 6 miles tomorrow or anything. Just take it gradual so you don't increase your risk of injury. Remember that running is a long term achievement and not something you can improve quickly.

What was suggested to me was to keep my 3 runs a week schedule and start turning one of the three into my "long run" for the week. Increase it by 1/2 a mile or 1 mile the next week and then run that distance the next 2-3 weeks to let my body get used to it. Then increase it again by a mile or so a few weeks later.

What I did while working on improving my fitness was mix in a few more 5k races over the course of a few months. it helped provide myself benchmarks and help me see my slight improvement as i went.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote