Thread: Job Advice
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2014, 07:41 PM   #1
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Job Advice

I just started a new job 1-1/2 weeks ago. Last week was training, this week is an office planning week. I am a RSM covering VA all the way up to ME. I have reached out to my distributors and am working to set up meetings with them to cover sales planning.

So today, I get an email directing me to have my calendar populated 6 weeks out. No big deal, I fill in where I plan to be, etc. etc. Then I learn my boss will be traveling with me in 2 weeks. Again, no big deal, we are scheduled for a trade show, and then heading into W NY to interview potential distributors. Then I get another email, this time from my boss' boss saying he is going to ride with me 3 weeks out, he wants to know what I have set up, where to fly to, etc.

I list out what I have scheduled, this is a more established area, meeting with reps to get a feel for what they are doing, where they've had success, target accts, etc. I tell him he can fly into one of two different airports pending price. He comes back with, make sure you have a full schedule I want tons of calls if I'm coming out.

WTH? I don't have a list of end user accounts, distributor salesman don't want to bring in factory reps to their accts until they have met them, and we have no list of installations in the area. How do you expect me to have a full slate of calls set up 3 weeks out after 3 days? Not only that, don't say tell me it needs to be worth your while if you just told me you are riding with me that week, that is your decision.

Is this a little ridiculous? Or am I just over reacting?

Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote