View Single Post
Old 09-25-2005, 06:30 AM   #6
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I ran the computer manager on all of the teams and then, using a simple star-based formula, I went through every team's minor leagues and cut each roster down to 25 players (75 total in each organization).

What that resulted in was some surprising names being cut and out into the free agent pool. It should be interesting to see who gets picked up and thrown into the mix around the league. Here's a look at some of the best free agents, including a handful that were already out there to begin with.

CATCHER

Slim pickings here. Vet backstops Charles Johnson and Greg Myers are decent enough holdovers, but that's about it. Former Pirates prospect J.R. House should get a look from someone, as he has a major league swing.

FIRST BASE

There isn't anyone here worth picking up, unless you like a has-been talent like George Arias, or catcher Doug Mirabelli, trying to get on a roster any way he can.

SECOND BASE

Bret Boone stands out here. The former Mariner can still swing with the best of them, although he's getting on in years. Amongst the best of the prospects, speedster Freddie Bynum, formerly of Oakland, should find his way onto a roster somewhere.

THIRD BASE

As with first base, the action at the hot corner is a bit slow. The best might be Nick Petrucci, a former Indians' farmhand, who still needs to prove himself at AAA before he gets a shot in the bigs.

SHORTSTOP

Continuing an awful infield group, this also looks like a bad position, although many fo the second base prospects can also play here, including Bynum. Another prospect to look at is another former Cleveland prospect, Jorge Sequea, who can swing a sweet stick.

LEFT FIELD

Prospect Chris Morris will find a spot somewhere because he's a decent hitter with the skills to play every outfield spot well. Otherwise, this is not a strong position.

CENTER FIELD

Among vets, the main standout here is Marquis Grissom, who should still be able to help a team. The one who will garner some attention, though, is a very good young prospect named Joseph Prieto. He was not cut from any team, but is simply available, and when the 22-year-old develops, he will be a powerful and disciplined hitter who is close to a five-tool talent.

RIGHT FIELD

If you can handle the enigma of an attitude that he brings to the clubhouse, you can have Raul Mondesi here. He still has the skills, but the key is getting him to try, while also keeping him away from the other players. Someone will give him a job--someone always does.

STARTING PITCHING

Pitching is always thin on the open market, especially starting pitching. And you know that's the case now, with knuckleballer Steve Sparks the "premier" name available. If you're looking to bolster the minors, there are some good players to take a chance on, including Bobby Bradley, Bob Keppel and Miguel Ascencio.

RELIEF PITCHING

The talent available here is ridiculous, and will be the most-tapped spot amongst mid-season signees. Les Walrond, Shingu Takatsu and Ron Mahay are all quality arms who will fill a spot in someone's pen. Former starting prospect Bud Smith is trying to come back from injury, and remains a top talent. He is joined by a number of other intriguing top prospects like Rhett James, Manny Acosta and Sergio Lizarraga. And I have barely scratched the surface. This is a very deep group of both vets and prospects.

CLOSERS

Derek Tate, a prospect with some growing to do, is the only player, be he vet or prospect, worth noting here, but with a middle relief group that will serve to bolster both starting pitching and closing, who needs depth here?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote