View Single Post
Old 04-14-2015, 05:04 PM   #22
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

If I haven't played in a while I find the game visually overwhelming. There must be fifty options to click on if you open up all of the menus. It's better now that they have the little coloured diamonds to help group them but it's still like looking at a spread sheet full of numbers (without formatting or colour coding). On the simpler end maybe a simple thing would be the ability to group or nest some of the options. Say for personnel. I never bother to change them unless I have player I'm trying to use in an unusual way. I would like to group them (the options) into one personnel group, then for players like me, there is just one line that says personnel. For players that use the menu all the time, they can leave it expanded. The same could be said on the Depth Charts/Game Plans for Depth Charts, Personnel, Game Plans, Formation Use, Pass Coverage. You could go from 30 lines to maybe 8 and not add any clicks. The people who want to use them can expand them and leave them like that, the people who don't, don't have to stare at them. I suppose you could do a similar thing with the almanac as well.

I think the new buttons and simulation window make the game look nice, but the rest of the menus are fatiguing. There are no visualization options for stats, or to breakdown your team. Yes what is there is very useful and insightful, but it isn't communicated easily. I guess that's what the "worst interface" comment is getting at. The information is there if you know where to look. It's like my office. I have piles of paper all over. I know where things are, but if you were to come into my office you would have no clue where to start looking for things. That's how I feel FOF is. The learning curve is pretty high in that it's a challenging game. I think just finding things and understanding how to consume the data available increases the curve, when it probably shouldn't.
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote