View Single Post
Old 05-27-2014, 06:15 PM   #52
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

Off-season 2013

The summer months are far from dull when you manage an amateur club. I'll summarize the comings and goings when the players return from holiday in July; for now, let's just say that we'll be getting to know a lot of new lads this season.

It's difficult to keep players on an amateur club when their suitors offer them something I can't match: money. Several of the mainstays of the 2012-2013 Alfredians have already signed part-time contracts with clubs at higher levels, and I'm sure the exodus hasn't stopped yet. So I've been busy looking for new men to take their places.

Meanwhile, here's a little bit of news from the Premier League. Manchester City were the league champions, with 81 points, three clear of runners-up Tottenham Hotspur. Manchester United, Chelsea, Arsenal, and Liverpool rounded out the top six.

Liverpool sacked manager Brendan Rogers in November, when the club was languishing in eleventh place. New manager Marcelo Bielsa rallied the Reds, who were playing some of the league's best football during the later months of the season.

Swansea City, West Ham United, and Reading will be relegated to the Championship for next season. Their places will be taken by Watford, Bolton Wanderers, and Burnley. Watford were Championship titleists, while the other two clubs were promoted through the playoff system.

Here are some Premier League award winners:
  • Footballer of the Year: Eden Hazard, Chelsea.
  • Manager of the Year: Roberto Mancini, Manchester City.
  • Players' Player of the Year: Wayne Rooney, Manchester United.
  • Players' Young Player: Gareth Bale, Tottenham Hotspur.
  • Top Goalscorer: Olivier Giroud, Arsenal.
  • Golden Glove: Ali Al-Habsi, Wigan Athletic.
Greyfriars Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote