View Single Post
Old 05-28-2014, 05:53 PM   #55
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

9 August 2013

The first fixture of the Hellenic League season is set for tomorrow, so it's time to meet your 2013-2014 Alfredians. Believe me when I say you have a lot of new players to get to know.

The early weeks of the off-season were bittersweet. I wondered if the stars from last year's side would stick around to see if they could win it all this season, and it turned out that other clubs gave them thousands of reasons to leave Wantage Town. I saw it coming as soon as I realized that Jack Adams, our Supporters' Player of the Year, had secured the services of an agent. You don't need one of those if you're planning to remain an amateur.

Here's a list of the players who have moved on; you'll recognize all of them if you've been following The Alfredians. All of them signed part-time contracts with clubs at higher levels, and I've listed their annual salaries.

Code:
Old Alfredian New Club Salary Geraint Price Hendon FC £7,000 Toby Sumner Thamesmead Town £8,750 Max Noble Oxford City £14,750 Jack Hendry St Neots Town £7,250 Jamie Dormer North Leigh £7,500 Joe Conkleton Harrow Borough £5,500 Jack Adams Canvey Island £19,250 Paddy Hester Maldon & Tiptree Town £9,750 Chris Cumming-Bart Staines Town £12,250 Tom Halsall Merstham £6,000

Sumner, Dormer, and Halsall signed with clubs one level higher, and the others are now with clubs two levels above us. It's hard to argue with a young man who has the chance to make some money playing football. I wish them well, and I'll be following them as they continue their careers.

With eleven departures, including most of our best players from 2012-2013, I had to put together an almost entirely new side. Here are some of the players I expect to feature prominently for The Alfredians this year. Each man's age is listed after his name.

I'll introduce the keepers and defenders in this post, and the midfielders and attackers in the next.

GOALKEEPERS
Conor O'Donnell
(19) is a familiar face. The Northern Ireland U19 international is back for a second season at Alfredian Park.
Simon Eastwood (24) was released from League 1 side Portsmouth after making six appearances for them last season. He's very similar to O'Donnell, but with slightly better mental attributes. Both of the keepers will play quite a bit, unless one clearly takes the job.

DEFENDERS
Michael Jatto
(37), Rob Gier (32), and Chris Sim (19) all return. I also signed Alex White (24), whom we loaned in from Eastleigh late last year. I wanted to do the same with Dean Overson, but he wouldn't sign. White and Sim primarily play left back, Gier on the right, and Jatto in the middle. All of them can fill in at one or two other spots.

Lewis Aird (18) was released by Newcastle United at the end of May. He's got all the qualities needed for stardom in this league; if we keep him very long, I'd be surprised.

League 2 side Bristol Rovers let Michael Smith (24) go on a free on 23 June. Four days later, he was in Wantage Town. He is a right back who likes to push forward; he's not as fast as Aird, but he's a little better technically.

After a long career in the Championship and League 1, veteran Jon Harley (33) arrives to help solidify our back line. He's lost a lot of speed, but he should ba able to make up for that with savvy.

Jordan Rose (23), formerly of AFC Telford United; Spurs reject Thomas Gardiner (18); and Tom Paul (18), ex-Blackburn Rovers, give us additional youth and talent. Paul is more defensive-minded, while Rose and Gardiner are all-around backs.

Jatto is our vice-captain, but he is definitely losing a step, and it's hard to think about not playing him regularly. Right now, however, our best back line would feature Aird on the left, Smith or Gier on the right, and some combination of Rose, Gardiner, and Paul in the center. We'll miss Geraint Price, but we're younger and faster in the back this season, and probably almost as feisty.
Greyfriars Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote