View Single Post
Old 05-28-2014, 06:57 PM   #56
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

Now, we'll take a look at our midfielders and attackers. Again, each player's age is given after his name.

MIDFIELDERS
Our returners here include player/assistant manager Jo Tessem (41), Chris Hall (30), John Halls (31), Kevin Asare-Addai (19) and Bobby Medjedoub (19). Tessem is much more valuable in the backroom than he is on the pitch now, and I'm hoping I can keep him with me when he decides to stop playing. Hall was a sensation after I signed him last October and I'd love to have him for the whole season this time, but 11 clubs have made offers to him and another nine are interested. I hate to say it, but I'm not counting on Chris to be around much longer. Medjedoub and Asare-Addai are bright young talents.

Halls is a very good DMC, but he's got an annoying habit of not listening during team talks. No matter whether I give it, or let one of the coaches take it, John "doesn't appear to be listening." I wish I had a game option that says "Have Michael Jatto smack him upside the head."

The forecast for Wantage Town calls for a Blizzard...Dominic Blizzard (29), to be exact. He was released from Yeovil Town on a free, and he's one of the guys whom scout Anton Sambrook said we would have little chance of signing. I'm glad Anton was wrong. Blizzard is better than Halls, and hopefully he's a better listener. He's what Chris Cumming-Bart might one day become.

Darren McQueen (19) is another "discard" from Spurs, the first player we signed after the exodus back in June. Our staff thinks Darren is already close to his full development as a player; he's creative, hard-working, and athletic.

Antonie Boland (18) couldn't break in with Blackburn Rovers, but he'll feature prominently in Wantage Town. He's a little raw, but his upside is tremendous.

Sam Gainford (18) is a great story. My son has taken an interest in my game, and last night he said to me, "Try to get someone from Liverpool." He's 10, so the idea of getting Steven Gerrard loaned in sounds like fun to him. "Liverpool would prefer Gerrard to play at a higher level."

Well, when I saw Gainford had been let go from the Reds, I decided to pursue him. He's a good attacking midfielder, good enough to make me consider using an AMR/AML more often this year. Right now, he's rehabbing a pulled hamstring.

We're also waiting for Callum Hope (18) to come back from a groin strain. When he's healthy, he'll figure into the mix in the middle of the park. His offensive game is way, way ahead of his defensive awareness right now.

Lewis Sirrell (19) rounds out our teenage midfield contingent. He was let go by Middlesbrough, and we like his well-rounded game and his ability to play all along the left side of the pitch.

When we play our 4-4-2 diamond, Hall will be the AMC, with Halls or Blizzard at DMC. We'll probably use a flat 4-4-2 more often this season so we can take advantage of Blizzard's skill set more effectively...especially if the maestro, Hall, moves elsewhere. Boland is the next best CM, and we can use McQueen and Gainford on the wings.

I really, really like the combination of players we have here. And, there's one more...

FOOTBALLER
Lee Canoville (32) can, and has, played on the back line and in the middle of the pitch, on both sides, and in the centre. His attributes are still solid by Hellenic League standards, but on paper, he's not supposed to be as good as the other guys who play his position(s). However, when he's on the pitch, good things happen. Lee has played 12 matches in a Wantage Town kit. The Alfredians have won 10 of them and drawn two. Canoville will wear the captain's armband for us this season, and I'm trying to figure out a way to take advantage of his staff attributes, too.

Last edited by Greyfriars Bobby : 05-28-2014 at 06:58 PM.
Greyfriars Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote