View Single Post
Old 05-31-2014, 10:46 AM   #62
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

1 October 2013

An undefeated month (4-0-0) gave us the league lead over a Highworth Town side that are equally hot. The two clubs have the same record, but we're ahead on goal differential.

We're alternating offensive explosions with 1-0 squeakers. At home against Ardley United on 7 September, we broke loose for a 4-0 victory; four different Alfredians scored goals, including Tobi Alabi, who got his first in an Alfredians shirt.

A week later, we faced a tough test, away to Kidlington FC. This was one of the grind-it-out matches, and we won it 1-0 on a goal by center back Thomas Gardiner, who headed in a corner midway through the first half. Simon Eastwood posted his third straight clean sheet, making a case for a regular job in goal. I'm still hoping to get Conor O'Donnell and George Lawton some playing time, since they both played well for us last season.

Lawton got the call for our next match, at home against Abingdon Town on the 24th. This time, six players scored in a 6-2 victory. Conor Doyle amassed a goal and two assists before I subbed him out on 49 minutes. Dominic Blizzard was Man of the Match, and he scored a goal...a fairly rare treat for a defensive-minded midfielder.

And we returned to the 1-0 pattern four days later, beating Oxford City Nomads away on a Conor Doyle goal on 68'. It was an ugly game, highlighted only by Doyle's finish and the return of Sam Gainford to the lineup.

The schedule is about to become very congested. Today we travel to Reading for the first leg of our Hellenic Cup tie, playing on three days' rest and with another League match on the 5th. We also have a stretch of three matches between the 12th and 19th.

Maybe the best news of the month: the board approved my request to add another coach to our staff! I think I might go the player/coach route, since it worked so well with Jo, Jody, and Anton. I'll take a look and see who might want a job.
Greyfriars Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote