View Single Post
Old 06-16-2014, 11:05 AM   #68
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfriars Bobby View Post
Thanks, Craig. When the kids' school year ended, we took a vacation, so I didn't play any Football Manager for a while. Now that I'm back home, I'll be picking up The Alfredians' story again.

I do have an interesting FM-related story from our vacation, though. My sister and her family were vacationing with us, and it turns out my brother-in-law is a fairly avid FM player. He knows much, much more about soccer, and about Football Manager, than I do. My sister is actually glad I've picked up the game. "Now he won't try to get me to talk to him about it," she points out.

As you'll soon read, The Alfredians won all six matches they played during October. They and Highworth Town are running away with the Hellenic League. I'm under no illusions about my ability as a football manager, so I know I can't claim much of the credit for my side's amazing run. I was talking to John (my brother-in-law) about it, and he had a few interesting insights.

I gave myself the credentials of an international footballer when I started the game. As a player, I was capped 79 times for England. I figured that resume would keep me from getting sacked as soon as I bungled Wantage Town to the bottom of the table. As John sees it, that created a situation that I was able to work to my advantage.

He pointed out that I could attract much better players to the club than I probably could land if my managing alter-ego wasn't so well-known as a footballer himself. The club is currently loaded with very good players in their late teens and early 20s. As John put it, "Those boys might have worn your shirt when they were 8, 10 years old. It makes sense that they'd want to play for you now. Imagine Drew Brees becoming the football coach at a private school after he retires. Do you think teenage boys who are good football players might want to play for that school?" That made a lot of sense to me.

And, because all the players are on amateur contracts, I can sign as many of them as I want without breaking my budget. I have no budget. I looked at the rosters of the other clubs in our league, and Wantage Town's roster is much bigger. I suggested to John that I let the extra guys go, but he cautioned me against that. He thought it might destroy the players' morale, as they feared the purge might get them next. Then I'd be spending too much time helping my players feel better. He thinks I should complete the 2013-2014 season, try to win the league and a cup or two, and see what happens next year. If Wantage Town are promoted to a semi-professional league, the perfect storm that allowed me to assemble the side I have now will probably go away. For one thing, we might become a semi-pro club, and then I'd have to find a way to pay the players.

If John is right about what's happening, I'm very impressed--not with my managerial talents, but with the game engine. It's complex enough that young players will more readily sign with a manager who has an international reputation, even if he's managing an amateur side, which is very cool.

Very interesting points.

I've always played FM as the real-life me - "Hi, I'm an American with no football experience. Come play for me!" I never realized that "keeping it real" could actually be making the game more difficult for me.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote