View Single Post
Old 06-20-2014, 12:39 PM   #70
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

1 December 2013

November was a busy month, with seven matches in four different competitions. However, there was an 11-day break in there, which has made the past 10 days insane. In the midst of all that activity, we were knocked out of one cup competition, which will ease the congestion a little in the months to come.

Goodbye
If you haven't seen some of the names you used to know from The Alfredians, it's because some of them are no longer in the club. I haven't updated the list of transfers out in a while, so I'll catch up now.

20 October: Bobby Medjedoub to Leatherhead
I wouldn't have minded keeping Bobby around longer. He is young and has good potential, but he pouted about a lack of playing time and when I gave him a chance, he got destroyed in both first team matches he played. With Leatherhead, he's gotten in five matches (three starts) and has played decently. He's signed for £8,750 for the remainder of the season.

22 October Sam Wilson to Leatherhead
This one hurts a little more, because Sam had such a good season for us last year. But, with our forwards all playing so well, it was hard to get Sam into the lineup and, when the Tanners dangled £13,500 in front of him, he said goodbye to Wantage Town. I bid him farewell with a positive comment to the press. He's scored a goal and two assists in seven starts with the Tanners.

24 October: Samuel Dyer to Mangotsfield United
I had high hopes for Samuel when I brought him in last year, but Chris Hall (who on paper isn't as good a player) outplayed him and forced him to the second team. And, with Conor Doyle locking down the AMC spot this season, Dyer decided to take a £7,750 contract from the Mangos. Samuel is off to a great start in his new home: 1 goal, 3 assists in 5 games. In other words, he's playing like Conor Doyle.

14 November: Chris Sim to Leatherhead
Leatherhead should rename themselves Wantage Old Boys. Their first XI usually features four former Alfredians now, since Chris Hall was already there. Sim didn't benefit much from tutoring with Rob Canoville, and when he complained to the press about playing time, I let him go. He didn't turn out to be good enough for our lineup anyway. Chris is making £8,250, but he's yet to see the pitch.

Hello
With four guys heading out, I signed one new man to help provide some depth.

20 November: Andrįs Stieber (unattached)
Andras is a left wing from Hungary who had spent several years at Aston Villa without ever appearing in a match. He's 22, and he is very polished technically. We'll work him into shape; he's appeared in one match for us already and he played well, setting up a goal with a beautiful pass.

Results
2 November: Wantage Town 3-1 Reading Town
Shaq Coulthirst joined our hat trick club, striking in the match's first minute, just after the half, and in the closing minutes. Conor Doyle, who laid on two of Shaq's goals, rated out at 8.4.

5 November: Abingdon Town 1-4 Wantage Town
Oxfordshire Senior Cup 2nd Round

Tobi Alabi and Clive Platt put us up 2-0 at the half. Abingdon Town pulled one back quickly after the break, but James Armson salted the match away with two late goals.

16 November: Highworth Town 0-3 Wantage Town
After nearly a fortnight without football, first and second in the table met at Highworth. We responded with one of our better matches of the season. Coulthirst and Richard Peniket connected within three minutes of each other in the first half, and Simon Eastwood made the best save I've seen from an Alfredians keeper in the closing minutes of the half. Shaq added an insurance goal on 79 minutes. Our victory put us six points clear of Highworth Town.

20 November: Holyport FC 0-3 Wantage Town
James Armson continues to make his claim for a regular spot in the first team. Appearing in Doyle's place at AMC, he pounced on a loose ball in the box and slotted it home. Then, on 33 minutes, he scored from the spot to give us a two-goal edge. Coulthirst came on as a sub at 75', and ten minutes later, he scored another goal.

23 November: Wantage Town 0-1 Armthorpe Welfare
FA Vase 2nd Round

We were exhausted, and it showed against a plucky side from the Northern Counties Premier Division. Armthorpe Welfare are good enough to take advantage of an opponent who isn't on their best form. That is exactly what happened. We were held scoreless for only the second time all season.

26 November: Wantage Town 2-0 Cheltenham Saracens
Hellenic Challenge Cup 2nd Round, Leg 1

The fixtures keep coming, and this time we grind out a victory on goals from Peniket and Darren McQueen. Getting Callum Hope back from injury helps, because he can play anywhere in the middle of the park.

30 November: Abingdon United 1-2 Wantage Town
This was a satisfying victory, as we spotted United an early goal and had to come back in the second half. Richard Jarvis was the hero, with goals on 62 and 76 minutes. Michael Jatto made his first appearance since injuring his foot in training on 30 October.

Random thoughts
  • Almost all the lads complain about not getting enough training. I suppose that's because we are an amateur club, and the players are usually available to work out only one day a week.
  • Richard Peniket has the best average rating on the club: 7.97. He's scored seven goals and assisted on six more in nine matches. I'm going to use him as our number 10, paired with Shaq, in our "must-win" fixtures. I'm comfortable with Doyle or Armson at AMC, and if I play Conor there, I can use James at central midfielder.
Greyfriars Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote