View Single Post
Old 05-20-2019, 06:04 PM   #10
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

1 April 2015

I had three months or so to shape my squad, but I didn't have the money to do very much. There were several players--forwards Pontus Engblom and Christian Gytkjær, center back Vegard Skjerve--who made it clear they had no interest in staying with the club after I took the job. They might have been planning to leave already, but I couldn't talk them into staying. Gytkjær and Skjerve left when their contracts ran out on 31 December. I managed to sell Engblom to Luzern for £80,000, which was a fairly good deal.

Skjerve's loss wasn't too painful, because I had two other very good center backs in the team, and a decent backup. I did need to find a new striker, though, and I talked the board into paying £200,000 to Bramm for Marcus Pedersen.

Now, as the Premier Division season is about to begin, here's how the Haugesund team looks. The star ratings come from my assistant manager, Mark Dempsey (11 for Judging Player Ability, 12 for Judging Player Potential.)

My usual formation is what the game calls 4-1-2-3 DM Wide, with a holding midfielder in front of a back four, two central midfielders, and two wide men flanking a center forward. I also play 4-4-2 from time to time. Both formations ought to suit the players I have fairly well.

Goalkeepers

Kristiansen is an excellent ‘keeper with no glaring weaknesses. He is the club captain, but he’s been expressing his desire to move to a bigger club. His contract expires this year, and our chances of resigning him will depend on the team’s success.

Bråtvelt is a decent youngster, but I wonder if his mental makeup is strong enough to enable him to achieve his potential. I wouldn’t mind finding another second choice goalkeeper.

Defenders

Våge Nilsen is a fixture at left back. One of the team’s best players, he has every skill I’m looking for in an attacking full back. His partner on the right side, Wembangomo, is very athletic, and will be a real star when he learns to read the game better.

I’m very happy with my center backs, who are both fast and tough. My predecessor bought Amundsen from Lillestrøm, and I’m glad he did. He’s a talented young center back with lots of pace and a mature understanding of his role. His partner will be Lædre Bjørdal, who has won three caps for Norway.

Croatian veteran Kramaric and young Haraldseid provide depth on the flanks. You’ll read more about Haraldseid later. Koch is the primary backup at center half. He’s cut from the same cloth as Amundsen and Lædre Bjørdal.

Our Director of Football, Asbjørn Helgeland, brought Nyman in on loan from FC Inter (Finland) on the last day of the winter transfer window. Hardworking, determined, and composed, the Finnish international is an ideal fit for the holding role in my midfield trio. He can also do a job in the back line, or playing farther up in the middle of the park.

Midfielders

Bamberg is the team’s most popular star. He brings some Brazilian flair to the side, usually operating on the right wing. Aase will play on the left side of midfield. He lacks the pace I might want in a wide man, but his technical ability makes him dangerous.

I’m going to find a place for Haraldseid to play as often as I can. It seems like every club in Scandinavia was trying to get us to loan him out. He can play all along the right side, and he might also appear as a central midfielder.

I like Haukås a lot. He’s a powerful presence in our engine room, with the physicality and polish to influence the match in a number of ways. Klaussen is a handy player who fits fairly well in a number of positions. He and Mawejje will battle for the number 10 role. Aashelm can be useful as a creative midfielder or a deep-lying forward.

Andreassen is a faithful club servant who has been with the team since 2003. Unfortunately, he believes he's achieved all he can at Haugesund, and is thinking about ending his career somewhere else. He can play anywhere in the defensive half of the formation, and I'd like to keep him around.

Attackers

When we play with a single striker, the well-traveled Pedersen will lead the line. He is fast and brave, and has a clinical touch. Komazec, a big, strong forward with a booming left foot, offers another kind of presence in front of goal, and should complement Pedersen well when we use two up top.

Aashelm and Agdestein are decent backups. Agdestein can also play out wide.

So, in summary:

Strengths:
  • a very good goalkeeper
  • a solid back four
  • a good defensive midfielder
  • attacking flair

Weaknesses:
  • poor passers, throughout the team (16th of 16 teams in the league)
  • unimpressive work rate
  • poor decision making
  • lack of a creative, playmaking central midfielder

The work rate issue is one I will be working hard to fix, if I stay at Haugesund very long. I won't tolerate a team full of slackers.

Last edited by Greyfriars Bobby : 05-23-2019 at 01:20 PM.
Greyfriars Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote