View Single Post
Old 01-10-2019, 09:56 AM   #97
revrew
Team Chaplain

All work an no play not enough for the Dragons
Dick Grayson, sports reporter, Des Moines Register

Historically, the Bears, Broncos, and even Jaguars in recent years have all had some measure of success with a team that's all defense but lacking on offense. Yet, with the exception of the '85 Bears, those teams typically all fell short of the ultimate prize.

Even the '85 Bears, however, had Walter Payton. And those Broncos eventually did find their way to Super Bowl glory once they swapped out Tim Tebow for Peyton Manning.

So … who is our Payton? (Or Peyton?)

The Des Moines Dragons' dominating defense may be a thing of beauty, but you just can't win enough playoff games to get to the dance by only kicking field goals. The Dragons' nine total points in their first-ever playoff game is evidence that something's missing in Des Moines.

Look, I love being a Dragon fan. I love the Iowa-only angle. I think the last two seasons have been a glorious ride, showing the whole league that you can win (even make the playoffs!) by fielding an entire team of Hawkeyes, Cyclones, and other Iowa homies.

But we gotta get an offense. Nathaniel "Captain" Witt has a heart bigger than all Iowa – heck, bigger than Texas – but in two years, the Dragons have not had a single 1,000-yard rusher nor 1,000-yard receiver. Witt has yet to eclipse 3,000 yards passing. That's not merely an underemphasized offense; that's offensive.

The 2026 season was another gut-wrenching, roller coaster of a year. And even if he never plays another game for Des Moines, Captain Witt deserves to have his number retired to the ring of fame at Joker Field, because he's a walking legend.

But please, Mr. Ledger, please … would you get us an offense?
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote