View Single Post
Old 06-12-2013, 06:44 AM   #1
Suicane75
Coordinator

Strat-O-Matic Online, 1986 Baby!

So I decided to give SOM Online another chance. They had a special, $14.95 for two seasons, and given that the seasons last a while I figured it was a decent bang for my buck.

I remember playing a few years back and was not blown away by it, but everyone deserves another chance.

There were a number of roster sets to choose from, from recent seasons, to all-time greats, certain eras and select years. I decided to go with 1986. Memories of coming home from school to watch the Astros/Mets playoff games filled my head.

My first impressions of round two with SOMO were not that great. The draft setup is a little silly. You pick a team of 25 from a budget of $80 Million and then rank those 25 in a priority.

From the site....
If a player was selected by only one team, that team gets him.

If a player was selected by more than one team: The team that ranked that player highest gets him.

If more than one team tied for ranking that player the highest:That player is randomly awarded to one of those teams that ranked him the same.

For each team that lost out on a player:The team receives the next highest-priced player that is the same primary position of the original player, that was not selected by any team.

Now I'm sure this system is fairly easy once you get used to things, but as a first timer it was a little daunting. If you were actually able to enter a draft room and participate in a real live auction draft it would be, and I'm not exaggerating much here, a MILLION times funner. It just seems like so much more a crapshoot the way it's set up, with a real potential to kill immersion. There are references to live drafts in the rules, but nothing that indicates when/where/how you do it, which is annoying. Anyway, this is the team I drafted.

There's a 2 day lull between the draft and the first waiver wire processing, which I imagine will be kind of hectic. For my league that happens at 5pm tonight so I'm kind of anxious about it. After the initial processing it's a first come, first serve deal.

So yeah, I'll be posting about the trials of Martins Maulers, who play their games in the Astrodome. I was looking for a slash/run type team with a couple big power hitters in the heart of the order so we'll see how we do.

Last edited by Suicane75 : 06-12-2013 at 07:04 AM.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote