View Single Post
Old 08-29-2005, 09:53 AM   #15
timmyw3
H.S. Freshman Team

2004 Offseason Preview

Now that we have the background of the league out of the way, let’s get started on what really matters here and that is the Salt Lake City Speed. After last season’s 82-80 record, we had a lot of players leave due to free agency, none of whom are irreplaceable though. At this point we have about 16 spots on the major league roster spoken for, meaning we should be incredibly active in free agency.

Our payroll for the year sits at $54 million and I our target for the year is somewhere in the $82 million to $85 million range. So we have money to spend here but I’m going to try not to get reckless with it. Most of this will be focused on our pitching staff, mostly in the much maligned bullpen which returns only 2 members. We also need a #1 starter that’s probably where we’ll spend the majority of our dollars.

Besides a new bullpen (closer included) and a #1 starter, we need another SP (a #4 type), a starting 2B, a utility IF, and a backup C. Free agency gets under way tomorrow night and runs for about the next 2 weeks or so.

The 2004 Amateur Draft is running concurrently and we select in the first round, 18th overall. We’re not looking for a specific position so we’ll go with the ever popular best player available, though I can pretty much say it will not be either a 1st baseman or relief pitcher.
timmyw3 is offline   Reply With Quote