View Single Post
Old 02-27-2003, 06:39 PM   #33
Co-D'ohs
H.S. Freshman Team

Originally posted by Godzilla Blitz:

Week 3
Recruiting
Levon Ingram, a guard from Reno HS in Reno, NV, will be the first perfect zero this year making the trip to South Bend sometime soon. And there is a lot of zero talent out there this year! Could be a bumper crop.

Chapman, Cooley, and Finch are still thinking…

Game
Pregame
The benchmark. The promised land. The standard against which all will be measured. The candy store. This week we play last year’s #125th ranked team, Louisiana-Lafeyette, at home. They currently stand at #115 but that is more due to playing and losing one game compared to other team’s losing two games than it is due being a better team. Time for a litmus test. I have no idea what to expect…

The result
I bring bad news. We have a long road to travel. We are not even close to that magical, euphoric moment when all our effort and toil will explode into the burning enlightenment of reaching the coveted #125 (Whoa, what drugs did I do today? Where did that sentence come from?) Anyway, to put it plainly, we are still a damn good football team. Notre Dame 49, Louisiana-Lafeyette 3. We absolutely crushed them. It was as if their defense wasn’t even on the field. Having said that, if we look hard, there were harbingers, shall we say, of better days in the midst of all this carnage. First, it was not an 80-0 blowout. Second, Louisiana-Lafeyette (What gives with the school name? Did its mommy school keep her maiden name after marriage and then give the baby school a split last name?) had 12 first downs, 82 yards on the ground, 102 yards in the air; in short, they moved the ball against us. Third, we punted once. But all in all it was ugly. Goodwin chucked 4 TD’s, had 349 yards in the air. RB Wolfe again proved that he is a lock on the 2002 Darkside Award by running for 121 yards and catching passes for 183 more. Nothing to do but get back to work…

Record 2-1. Rank 38
Co-D'ohs is offline   Reply With Quote