View Single Post
Old 04-17-2012, 02:12 PM   #195
Izulde
Head Coach

In a month and a day I'll be on the plane to Kyoto by way of Seoul. I'm super stoked about it, not only because I'll be living abroad again for a couple of months and I've always wanted to go to Japan, but because it'll mean what has been a tough semester schedule and motivation wise will be over.

It's the start of much better times ahead going into my third and final year of the MFA program. Not only will be I summering in Japan, but, as many of you know from the Random Thoughts thread, I got approval to teach a themed freshman composition class in the fall dealing with college sports.

You see, over the last year and a half I've realized that I have little to no interest in teaching academia and unless I come up with some bestseller or something, living by writing isn't possible. So I've been mulling what I want for a career, while still writing on the side. I've come to realize that my desire and qualifications find a match in the field of sports management.

The problem? I'm not exactly walking around with a list of contacts in my phone, nor do I have any experience in it. Hell, even my connection to sports in general is slippery at best (a year of youth soccer coaching, being the DDS:PB community manager for Gary's WS, and now teaching this college sports course in the fall).

So I'm sitting in the union today, looking over rough drafts of my students' research papers in preparation for revision workshops that start tomorrow, when I'm handed a summer internship and career fair flier.

I figure eh, what the hell, I'll go even though my summer is already planned. I love going to career and internship fairs and just seeing what employers and positions are being offered.

Long story short, I found out the Las Vegas Bowl has fall internships available and the guy at the table gave me his business card and I'm pretty sure he said to contact him.

Application deadline is May 15th and I leave the 18th, so I'm not sure how that'll work in terms of the selection process. I do plan on applying, however. They're looking specifically for people who want to get into sports management.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote