View Single Post
Old 11-16-2012, 01:30 PM   #199
Izulde
Head Coach

Georgetown sent me an email last week saying they're now taking applications for next fall's Sports Management program, so I dug out my old notes and list, and have a list of four schools that I will for sure be applying to, likely to add a fifth one after weighing some factors.

The Certain Four (in no particular order)
1. Georgetown
I love Washington D.C. and the program offers a plethora of internships and a mentoring program. Alumni seem to report one of the biggest benefits of the program is how well they teach networking skills, which is something I'd definitely like to grow stronger in. The program's split into two specialization tracks - management and operations, or sports marketing, both of which are intriguing. The downside is there isn't much in the way of financial aid support, it seems.

2. Drexel
Philadelphia offers a ton of different possibilities for internships and Drexel's program seems to really emphasize engaging with the local sports community. Philadelphia is also one of the few cities where all four major professional sports teams are in the city limits. Assistantships are also available, which will be a key factor if I can get one.

3. St. John's
The program's quite new, but assistantships are available, it's in New York, which goes without saying as to the internship options available. Your capstone here is either an internship or a thesis. Naturally, I'd be doing the internship. One of the coolest things about this program is that it offers high school coaching certification with it, something I'd definitely be interested in getting, as I miss coaching terribly.

4. San Francisco
See a growing theme here of major cities? Most get some form of financial aid and assistantships are available. The huge factor for this program is that students have multiple internships, so students get a wide variety of work experiences.

Many of the other schools on the list I discarded because either they're A) not in major cities, B) don't put much emphasis, if any, on an internship experience or C) the biggest killer, your chances of getting in without prior work experience in the field are pretty slim. Since I don't really have that, with the exception of youth-coaching and my work with Wolverine Studios (and I'm not sure how much the latter counts), it's not worth wasting the time or money.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote