View Single Post
Old 11-20-2019, 09:23 AM   #7081
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
JoJo Rabbit: 10/10

With the amount of movies I go to and trailers I see, it's not often that I get to see something completely blind of expectations. But it can be really fun when I do. I didn't know really anything about this one going in, I hadn't seen a trailer. But the movie's insanity grabbed me in the first minutes and I was hooked from then on. It's just a hilarious, dark, weird, adorable, and then eventually, moving and thoughtful movie about Nazis. My favorite of the year.

It looks like the cumulative critic ratings are impacted by a lot of 0-star type reviews based on the portrayal as Nazis as either cartoonish and hilarious caricatures, or as human beings. I did get the feeling watching that it that it was a little surprising to be seeing this movie in 2019, which made it all the more fun to watch. I'm glad it got in under the wire.

It has been a good year for movies, IMO. A lot of ones I have really enjoyed.

Perhaps it is just recency bias, but I feel like this movie stayed on my mind for a long time after. I still see the trailer pop up in my Facebook feed and I'll watch the trailer again, just to be back in experiencing the movie and the story.

It's just a very well done story. Funny and touching and, for all its Nazi-humanizing as you suggest, molson, just a banner film for the power of love over hate.

The movie mocks Naziism and Waititi playing an effeminate jokester of an imaginary Hitler is intended to remove the power of hate. Nonetheless, the internal conflict for JoJo involves him battling his imaginary Hitler for supremacy of his own mind. It's a layered message that is actually pretty powerful.

IMO, you can't walk out of the theater after this one and not be smiling.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote