View Single Post
Old 09-26-2014, 10:51 AM   #15
revrew
Team Chaplain

SEASON 2

Step 1: Keep coaching staff
Step 2: Fan enthusiasm is slipping with our 6-10 finish, so we won't raise prices, except on the luxury boxes
Step 3: Summer - since he didn't play at all last year because of injury, we're going to take a big risk and send our former 1st rounder, FL Louis Henry, to develop in summer league. (please don't get hurt...) Franchise: QB Dennis Dixon franchised, because I didn't want to renegotiate last season. I will this season.

Step 4: Renegotiations - Dennis Dixon and DE Derrick Harvey sign long contracts. RT Kevin Haslam signs. But we're almost out of bonus money already.

Step 5: FA acquisitions
DE Igor Olshansky (51/51) Perhaps the most expensive and oldest FA we targeted, he's a temporary stop gap to give us some semblance of a pass rush
CB Eric Wright (55/55) There was no way we could afford to bring back Rashean Mathis, so Wright signs a cheap, 1-year deal to play LCB.
K Garrett Hartley (41/41), Similarly, no way we could afford the spend the money Josh Scobee was asking, and the kicker talent in this reboot is abysmal, so we'll go with this guy's strong, but erratic leg.
TE Alex Smith (46/46) Devastating run blocker who was willing to come in on 1-year, minimum salary.

Resignees of note:
CB David Jones (41/48) Solid backup/special teamer
WR Eddie Royal (41/46) Eddie had some drops, but still caught 58% of the passes tossed his way last year.
SLB Rob Ninkovich (39/54) Decent backup

Step 6: Draft
1.10 TE Derek Johnston (39/66) Even though there was a decent CB available, BTA was clearly Johnston, who at 6'5, 270 with 2 reds and 5 blues was just too much to pass up. The CB is solid-looking, but at 5'8 without much INT ability, had to go with the sure-fire stud in Johnston. (The CB went 11th).

2.9 CB Mo Barton (21/67) I don't expect he'll boom or max out those bars, but he was our second choice at CB and pretty happy to see him still on the board.

3.8 G Graham Dickens (26/52) Rolling the dice here on a bench-press guy our scout says is VU. But combine studs are growing few and far between, so now we're looking for guys with bars.

3.14 C Omar Winters (24/55) We're going way out on a limb here, as he seems to have zero run-blocking ability, but his combines scream boomer. One of the last workout warriors left on the board, and if he doesn't pan out, we have a young starter in front of him.

4.7 DE Randy Greene (12/26) Why take a guy with no bars? Because he's fast. Blazingly fast. WAY in the red. Also benched 31 reps, which is blue. Hoping he can boom and be a dime-rusher.

5.10 RB Tyrone Seignious (29/38) Overlooked this guy earlier, but with 4 blues and bars in good places, I'm liking this pick.

6.9 SS Marcus Lazuka (23/48) Hoping his blue in the bench makes him a better run defender than his bar suggests.

7.8 FB Randal Autry (16/48) All he does is block, catch on 3rd down and do special teams. That'll do, pig, that'll do.

Step 7: Post FA - We can't afford a penny more in bonuses, so there's no late FAs at all, save for URFAs. We also have 2 vets holding out. Tough. Can't afford it.
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote