View Single Post
Old 03-03-2010, 12:28 AM   #148
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
When you factor in the previous 100 years it is a huge resurgence. Don't underestimate the large amount of RU fans in the NY/NJ market that will watch a relevant team. Not to mention the younger generation there now or recently graduated who have now actually grown up with a semblance of winning college football culture.

Trust me, 10-20 years ago you saw zero evidence they even played football at RU, now you see people everywhere in RU football gear, there is much more media coverage and people are excited and talking about gameday.

While they are not on par with traditional powers they are a commodity on the rise.

I would wonder if that "resurgence" would continue if they joined a stronger football conference though. Certainly it would allow them to have a larger budget, but they'd also be going toe to toe with schools that have had a larger budget for years. Would their recruiting improve enough to compete with Big Ten schools year in and year out? I think there are a lot of questions about Rutger's joining the Big Ten, but that's true of any team that joins an established conference like the Big Ten. It will be very interesting to see what the Big Ten finally chooses to do.
the_meanstrosity is offline   Reply With Quote