View Single Post
Old 03-23-2021, 01:20 PM   #1730
pantera
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
My personal opinion is that we shouldn't be primarily focusing on short-term solutions with the end game being that whatever restrictions are put in place will stop mass shootings - because they won't. Rather, while we definitely need some reasonable restrictions in place immediately, we should largely be focusing on longer-term solutions to lessen the gun culture over time. Maybe we're too far gone for it to work, and I don't know exactly what it would look like, but I'm thinking of the gun control equivalent to what we did to make smoking less appealing. I don't think there's an overnight fix regardless of how many people might be in favor of major restrictions.
Very well said.

Unfortunately "some reasonable restrictions in place immediately" are a no-go, translated by hardliners to mean that goon squads will soon be entering every home in America confiscating every single firearm.

Thus, "longer-term solutions to lessen the gun culture over time" will be that much harder to implement, when we can't even take the first step.

I'm not a gun owner, but I have no problem with people having a pistol in their home for self-protection, or hunting rifles and shotguns. But can we please have longer waiting periods, more restrictive licensing rules, a ban on open carry, and a ban on weapons that can discharge dozens of rounds in mere seconds? Is that too much to ask? How many more thousands have to die?
pantera is offline   Reply With Quote